Could it be??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Could it be???

My gang have all taken very well to the raw diet, the shedding has stopped, the hairballs have stopped, Tysons tummy issue is fine, the skinny scrounger has put on weight and stopped scrounging.

But Ugly my exferal had gotten very skinny ..... she seemed to be eating the raw meat but I could see she wasnt happy .... I gave her some canned food last night with a worm tablet in case she could have worms and she wouldnt touch it , butr she possibly smelt the worm tablet.

I had a few kitten food pellets and I gave her that and she devoured the lot... I feel dreadful.... has she been starving herself???? or is it a possibility that she cant tolerate the raw food???? I got them used the new diet slowly as recommened but its been nearly two months now ...

I feel really bad about this poor cat ..im a rotten cat mother

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: Could it be???

What I would do if I were you:

1. Try to give her baby food (human one), just make sure there is no onions or garlic in it. I've heard that cats love it but my boys wouldn't touch it.

2. Try to give her lactoze-free (or cats) milk - my boys love it very much, and I sometimes put yeast into it - it's good for gaining weight.

3. Try to give her low-far farmers cheese or yogurt or buttermilk - whatever she would eat. You can try sour cream but be careful because it is fatty. You may use low-fat sour cream or/and use water to make it less fatty.

4. Add probiotics to the food - any vitamin store should carry capsules or powder, it will help with proper digestion.

5. Add cats vitamins and/or L-Lysine - 500 mg a day, better get it in capsules (sprinkle over the food) or powder.

6. I would try to give her cooked oatmeal - maybe cooked in meat or fish water, maybe she will like it, it is a very healthy food.

Hope it will help.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Carol, continue to feed her the kitten food. It will be adequately balanced for a feline diet. Even though the raw diet would certainly be higher quality than the kitten kibble, it won't do Ugly any good if she refuses to eat it. We always have to remember that each cat is an individual with individual needs and preferences. We have to be flexible when dealing with these picky individuals. Ugly wants what she wants, and she doesn't want what she doesn't want. Cats can't be starved into submission. They'll die first.

You aren't a bad cat mom. You just missed a problem until it became visually noticeable. It happens. It's happened to me. You have recognized the problem now, so now you can fix it. Give Ugly the kitten food until she picks the weight back up, then perhaps try to transition her to raw again more slowly with some kibble smooshed into the top of the raw food. If she still can't be convinced to enjoy raw, then perhaps she's just a kibble girl. Again, flexibility is the key. She's the one who will ultimately decide what she will and won't consume.

Don't fret, Carol. There's a problem that you can fix. Then carry on.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks so much

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Senior Cat

Yes, Carol, as long as she's EATING something, that is the best thing.

You can always try and switch her later after she see's how yummy it is for everyone else. Each cat can take much different amounts of time to do the switch, don't feel bad if it isn't right away for everyone.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Ill have to get some kitten food fro her today ... in the meantime ill give her tuna , poor girlie.

I automatically also start any cat that looks skinny/ "under the weather" on an immune booster just in case something is brewing ...

I gave them all a good feel yesterday but she is the only one looking skinny , the rest have lost all that "hills" weight but are looking great.

Its always tricky with so many cats , keeping a head count of who is eating with 16 cats darting around is a bit er.... awkward.

I find it quite scary that cats and parrots will starve themselves if food isnt quite to their liking , no dog will .....

Converting a seed fed parrot to pellets and veg can be quite daunting.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Banned

My vet once told me when I was having difficulty weaning Mellie off of a dry food craving: "If she won't eat what you feed her then feed her what she'll eat." So I had to do that for awhile, and start over with the process. But it all worked out in the end. She now devours wet food like it's going out of style. I don't see why it would be any different with raw food.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Cat Addict

NOBODY who goes to all that trouble to try to feed raw is a rotten cat mother!!!!

I'm glad you found what she likes to eat. Good luck adjusting her diet.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Carol,

That's one of the reasons I started weighing all of my cats every two weeks back in 7/07. Before I started the bimonthly weigh-ins, one of my cats had become extremely thin and ill without my realizing it. By the time I got him to the vet, he was already fairly late stage CRF, and I was unable to stabilize his condition. I lost him a few short months later. In the wake of his premature passing and my ongoing guilt, I vowed to change how I managed the cats so that I could keep a closer eye on their conditions.

The first thing I did was remove the all day kitty buffet (this was long before I started feeding raw) and start feeding portioned, scheduled meals. That, and the bimonthly weigh-ins, made all the difference in the world in terms of keeping tabs on each cat's state of health. I now know within 12 hrs when a cat goes off his/her food and obviously isn't feeling well, so I can take nearly immediate action to address the problem. I also know when a cat's food portions need to be adjusted to maintain or achieve optimal weight.

I must admit, though, that one of my ex-ferals shredded a fair amount of my flesh learning to tolerate being weighed. And mealtimes can be a bit of a kitty roundup with a Pride of Fifteen. They don't always make things easy, these kitty kids. ;-)

Laurie
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

mmm weighing them all sounds like the best plan ... ill have to get a digital scale , I have a nice one for weighing food , but no cat is going to sit on it.

In the meantime ill give them all a more thorough hand examination daily.

Im also going to get shredded... Ugly and Blue are fine .. but spookie still wont tolerate being handled, and hubs is going to have to weigh copicat ..I cant even get him off the ground.

Ugly is a happy girlie again .. munching her kitten food quite happily.

Talking about kitty buffets , dont you just love putting their food down , and removing the empty dishes and washing them until the next meal???

No more kibble lying around for flies etc ....I love it .... the cats dont hang around the kitchen all day .. the come in , get stuck into their food and off they go.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page