First attempt at raw... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

First attempt at raw...

Success!!

So, while grocery shopping I just picked up a boneless chicken breast and wanted to see what Kiki would do. I cut off a small piece to see if she'd even eat it and she gobbled it right up! No tuna juice or kibble powder or canned food to spread on it!

So next I cut a fairly big chunk off, like, maybe, 3 inches by 2 1/2", 1 inch thick (?) I think. She immediately started licking it the same way she "eats" canned food. After a minute or so I got a little worried because after licking awhile I'd see her try to bite it, give up, then go back to just licking. Well it took a few minutes of trying but she finally figured out how to turn her head and chomp away.

It was funny because when she'd try to bite and didn't tear a piece off, she'd start to walk away, then stop, look back at the chicken and try again! Sure enough she got the whole thing down and I gave her one more slab of raw chicken and she took to it like an old pro and was working those carnassials! After all that hard work it was time for her to take a well deserved nap!

Haven't tried bones yet but I'm feeling confident she'll be able to handle it!

I asked the butcher guy at the store if they had chicken necks, giblets or other organs but he unfortunately said no. I could buy a whole Foster Farms packaged chicken there but on the label it says may not contain all giblets...don't know what that means though.

The only organ I saw I could buy was beef liver so I'm not sure where I'll get the other organ stuffs she'll need to eat. Until then I guess I'll just keep feeding canned with some raw. I was relieved to see her not turn her nose up at raw though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Tom Cat

Re: First attempt at raw...

Congrats! My boys took to it right away as well, although they do still have their days.

As for organ meat, you have to work hard sometimes. Get online look for local butchers and farms, search craigslist.

I found a local butcher who can get me chicken hearts, which count as muscle meat, but are a great source of taurine.

I also found a man on craigslist who raises chicken and sends them to butcher for people, so next time they go to butcher he is going to have the butcher save all the organs for me.

I have a really cool local grocer that carries any type of organ meat for pork and beef as well.

For me I've found it best to keep a blank calendar and each day I write down what I fed, that way I know when they're due for bone or organ meat. I also feed a lot of different proteins so it helps me keep track of what proteins I've fed.

As for bones, chicken ribs and necks are great ones to start with. The wing bones are a bit much for my bones so I crush them alittle with a hammer.

Leslie
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Jr. Cat

You may want to google for Azian meat markets in your area, they usually carry organs.

My personal experience is that "upscale" supermarkets in good/wealthy areas do not carry organs (in my area they carry chicken hearts/bizzards/liver though) but in poorer areas they do carry all the stuff we need for our cats. I found a meat store that has rabbit, chicken necks (very cheap), beef hearts etc. but he is located in not so good area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Banned

It sounds like your cat has discovered how to chew. Cats raised from birth on commercial food have to rediscover their instincts. They may not know at first that kind of food needs to be chewed. It was a good idea to give boneless meat first. Starting right off the bat with bone-in meat can be a little chancy if your cat doesn't know it's supposed to be thoroughly crunched up first. I made that mistake and Twinkie nearly choked on his first chicken neck. I was watching him closely, too, and dived in there to rescue the neck when I saw he was going to attempt swallowing it whole.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Good info! I wouldn't have thought to check Craigslist, but what exactly would I search for? Chicken organs, giblets I guess?

Coaster, did Twinkie finaly figure out how to munch the bones properly?

I made a YouTube vid of Kiki eating her raw chicken too. I have another one with a much bigger slab of chicken but it's like 9 minutes long! So about a 12 minute jaw workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdxwy18LW4Q

She's really lovin' it!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Banned

Yes, he did.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned

Congrats, Sabala! I've been feeding natural for a couple of months now and watching my guys chow down on a hunk of meat or tossing back bits of kidney or cleaning up after wrestling a chicken wing is still a delight.

(Just remember, liver isn't considered an organ.)

Keep up informed - we all love reading each other's adventures.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Excuse me, but liver most certainly IS considered an organ. In a raw prey model diet, liver is supposed to comprise half of the 10% organ percentage. The other half of the organ percentage (5% of the total diet) should be one of the other secreting organs (kidney, spleen, thymus, pancreas, brain, testicles).

Laurie
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief
Excuse me, but liver most certainly IS considered an organ. In a raw prey model diet, liver is supposed to comprise half of the 10% organ percentage. The other half of the organ percentage (5% of the total diet) should be one of the other secreting organs (kidney, spleen, thymus, pancreas, brain, testicles).

Laurie
Let me rephrase my statement for clarity's sake.

The usually recommended prey model feeding percentages, as Laurie partially touches on, are: 80% Meat / 10% Bone / 5% Liver / 5% Organ. As you can see, liver and organ are measured separately. This is what I was referring to when I said liver was not considered an organ meat; for dietary purposes, it's a completely separate requirement.

A.C.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

For even greater clarity's sake, depending on the Raw Prey Model diet reference you are consulting, the recommended dietary percentages are often stated as: 80% muscle meat, 10% edible bone, 10% secreting organ (of which 5% should be liver and 5% should be some other secreting organ: kidney, spleen, thymus, pancreas, brain, testicles).

Raw Prey Model can get a bit confusing because certain organs such as heart, gizzards, stomach, intestines, and (according to some sources) lungs are considered muscle meat for the sake of this particular diet.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page