New - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

New

Hello everyone,

Wonder if any one could help? I really want to feed my cats a more better diet for them. Everything I have read on Raw is confusing! Some say use vegetable some say don't as cats wouldn't eat them normally.

Can anyone advise what I should use? I don't want to use the wrong ingredients.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Cool Cat

Re: New

welcome to the forum! Cats are carnivores and need no veggies or grains at all. these things barely get digested and just come back out the other end making bigger, stinkier poop. Cats are fully able to get everything they need without fruits, veggies or grains. For a complete raw diet your cats MUST be able to eat plain muscle meat, small bones, liver and at least one other organ (not heart though). You should feed the cat 2-3% of his body weight (about, it's not super important just make sure he does not loose or gain too much weight) and should each 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other organ. Basically feed meat every day, feed a boney meal (like a chicken neck) every third day, feed liver once a week (a piece maybe the size of a quarter) and feed the other organ once a week (same as liver). Take it slow with the transition, start with just feeding muscle meat like chicken breast or thigh meat (while still feeding commercial food at another meal) then teach the cat to eat smashed up, chopped up boney stuff (so take a chicken neck, smash it with a mallet and cut it into three or four pieces so he learn to chew bone) and organs and once he can eat all the parts of a complete diet you can stop feeding commercial food altogether! Also remember to avoid grinding and pre-made raw if you can.

here's a good site (check out the links too): http://www.rawfedcats.org/

I'm very glad you've decided to upgrade your cat's diet, it'll be well worth it!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Jr. Cat

Would gizzards qualify for "other organs"? I saw I can buy packaged chicken gizzards and hearts at the grocery store along with chicken livers too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Jr. Cat

I found this interesting reading about cat nutritional needs...

http://www.urbancarnivore.com/html/urba ... /index.cfm
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Cool Cat

I actually think gizzards are a muscle or offal or something not organ though (if I'm thinking of the right thing)...Very good for teeth cleaning I believe.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the links and advice.

I've been starting small and just been giving them small bits of chicken breast and rabbit..

Yea I don't really want to grind the meat. As I would prefer to give them something they can chew on
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Banned

~Siameseifuplz~ is correct - gizzards are considered "muscle" meat, as are hearts. Organ meat is kidneys, spleen, brain, lungs, that kind of stuff.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

I've been told that, within the context of a raw prey model diet, lungs fall under the category of muscle meat (like heart and gizzards), rather than secreting organ (liver, kidney, spleen, pancreas, thymus, brain, testicles).

Laurie
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

Hmmm, don't want to argue with you, Laurief, but lungs are organs, both biologically and for raw-feeding purposes.

Hope the confusion isn't discouraging you KittehKrazy! Do you have any more specific questions? How are things going?

A.C.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

AC, do you have an authoritative source for the classification of lungs as muscle meat that you could link here? I have posted this question to a couple of raw feeding forums online and have been consistently told that lungs are considered muscle meat within the context of the Raw Prey Model diet ... everywhere but here at CatForum, that is.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page