Weight - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Weight

Magic one of my gang had a very rare moment of wanting to bond this morning .. she got up onto my lap and was kneading frantically .... I was however completly startled at how heavy she has become.

So I went around and weighed the crew .. they have ALL put on weight , yet it looks as though they have lost weight since being on RAW food ...I found it quite odd anyone else notice this ???

So I would assume they are now building muscle ??? I had the kittens at the vet for their shots and he asked me what im feeding them because Tyson shines like he has being polished .. of course being black it easier to notice.

My vet was quite shocked to hear that they eat only RAW..... but he was gracious enough to admit he has never seen a cat in such good condition as Tyson....

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Weight

So long as they are not getting fat I would indeed say muscle is being built and fat is being burned. Make sure you feel the cats to make sure they still feel like they are a healthy weight (should be able to feel but not see ribs). I Definitely have noticed that Willie is getting some awesome muscles, he never had any extra weight, he's very skinny with a sprinter's body and always has been, but he is getting muscles for sure. It must be so great to have people notice the great condition your cats are in, you must be a proud momma, aren't you glad you feed raw?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

This seems to be a healthy weight .. I can barely feel ribs and they have that athletic look to them .. cant think of another way to put it.

Visually their is no more flab .... they all look slinky.....I check them all the time .. but not all of them tolerate being picked up.. and thats how I noticed Magic.

Im very pleased with the RAW diet ..... and its easy and convenient ...Tyson is no longer constipated , or has the runs.. now he has a "normal" stool"

Talking about stools .... they look like little round pellets almost like large rabbit poop..and almost smell free

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Banned

Ditto everything already said.

I think it's likely the gain in muscle is caused by the increased activity level. More running around acting like a crazy kitten = more muscle for all that leaping and sprinting.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Jr. Cat

I definitely agree with everything said and have the same experience.

The only thing I'd like to say is that I'm NOT going to worry that my cats may become overweight on raw, and I feed them as much as they want. IMHO raw is a very healthy diet and I seriously doubt that a cat can become overweight if he is on raw only. Once again - just my opinion.

Also, my vet (not a hollistic one) approved raw diet!!!! He just told me that most people do not want to put any efforts to do it "right" - either to add vitamins/supplements or to do all this "bones, organs, liver etc.", they just want to feed meat only.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa
The only thing I'd like to say is that I'm NOT going to worry that my cats may become overweight on raw, and I feed them as much as they want. IMHO raw is a very healthy diet and I seriously doubt that a cat can become overweight if he is on raw only. Once again - just my opinion.
If a cat eats too many calories, whether raw or Meow Mix, (s)he will become overweight. It's just the laws of physics/biology...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Quote:
If a cat eats too many calories, whether raw or Meow Mix, (s)he will become overweight. It's just the laws of physics/biology...
Yup. Calories Burned < Calories Eaten = Weight Gain, no matter how pure the form of calories involved.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Jr. Cat

If I eat salad leaves only with no dressing I doubt I'll gain much weight Although my girlfriend used to say "A cow eats grass but she is still a cow"

Just IMHO if cats get as much food as they want they start to eat less. They do not need to be greedy with food because they know that the food will be served to them on their first demand . At least my cats started to skip breakfast and eat less in general. Maybe it's just because they get older, I don't know.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

If you ate salad leaves for hours and hours I'm bettin' you'd start counting those calories. *giggle*

Sorry, couldn't help it!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If I eat salad leaves only with no dressing I doubt I'll gain much weight
Right...and if your cat ate nothing but plain salad I'd agree with you. But you can't compare salad to raw meat...a raw diet is significantly more calorie dense than salad...about 20 times more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page