Trying Gracie on raw...! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Trying Gracie on raw...!

I am very excited to be starting Gracie on raw food...!

My aim is eventually having her eating perhaps a third or half of her diet raw. To start, I bought the supplement mix from Feline Instincts (plus their liver powder for when we don't include liver), and I have just started her out on roughly minced boneless dark meat chicken and chicken liver. Our kitchen just does not have room for a grinder, so I think I will be giving her chopped meat and maybe wings and necks, not ground up whole stuff. Anyway, that's my thought at the moment. So far so good! Bless her heart, she just tucks like a pro! I can't wait to see if she gets more energy or a softer coat - she's already very healthy, so it is all positive...

I am following the product directions and letting her have about a teaspoon a day for the first week while her tummy adjusts. She does not seem to mind the vitamin-y smell when it is all blended up.

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

Re: Trying Gracie on raw...!

Good luck, Fran! There are few things more satisfying than watching your cat tucking into their natural diet.

What feeding method will you be using once you transition Gracie to 100% raw?

A.C.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I think 'Frankenprey' will be the best food model for us.

I do have a food processor but not a grinder, so I think I will just see what I can do with hand chopping. Luckily it is just one kitty. I would love for her to be able to catch her own mouse every day (someday we'll have to move to the country so she can have her own tidy little barn to hunt mice in, eh? )

I did find a regular supermarket that carries the more offbeat meats and organs - such as chicken liver, gizzards and hearts, tripe, beef tongue, pig's trotters and more, but the meats come from the huge agribusiness companies so I am sure they are full of antibiotic residue, etc etc . We've got a few specialty butchers and high end markets in town, so I hope I can get a little variety - venison, quail, whatever. The market where we shop for our own food has reasonably priced organic chicken (dark meat is especially reasonable) but not turkey, plus non-agribusiness ranch-raised beef. (Do you feed beef?)

She'll probably just have raw for dinner or evening snack every night, and we'll keep giving her canned in the morning, since mornings are hurried around here with everyone heading to school or work...

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned

I, too, use the frankenprey model for the most part. I feed turkey thighs, chicken quarters, beef stew meat, and pork loin chunks, chicken and beef liver, chicken hearts, and beef kidneys. I've only purchased quail once, because it was $10 a pound!!! I'm also feeding an ounce of ground chicken wing every day to satisfy the bone requirement.

Do you have a Whole Foods market near you? They've got some great stuff - I get ground chicken wings (they do the grinding) and whole, fresh chicken hearts from them all the time.

I don't worry overly much about buying only "organic" meats, because anything I get at the supermarket is a thousand times superior to what's in commercially prepared food and if I started buying "organic" only, I wouldn't be able to afford feeding 100% raw, you know?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 02:47 AM
Jr. Cat

Heh, my mom's cat gets all the free quail he can eat out in their back yard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page