So far so good - just one raw question... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

So far so good - just one raw question...

Gracie loves her raw chicken-and-chicken-liver meals! We have been giving her half-and-half good canned and homemade raw. I have mixed up a pound's worth and froze it in small portions in an ice cube tray. She's getting two cubes a day instead of one of her canned meals/snacks.

Her fur coat changed texture within about three or four days, which was astonishing. She was plushy before but now she's even plushier and smoother. I don't know if it is from more or less oil in her coat, it just feels different and is shinier. She seems to be getting more solid - her waist and shoulders look more sculpted and her body feels firmer when you hold her. She has always been playful, but maybe she is a little more now. I don't know if that is diet or diet plus happiness over fresh replacements to some of her favorite toys - her Cat Catcher mouse, her thing-on-a-spring, etc.

She still is having some poop issues so I am keeping on with the slippery elm. When she had a whole meal (two ice cubes' worth) of raw, she had a little blood on her poo, but a single cube's worth at a time seems fine. Does anyone have any experience to share for about how long the food transition should take?

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Tom Cat

Re: So far so good - just one raw question...

What do you mean the transition?

I went with what the boys wanted basically--literally from no raw to almost all raw in a week. They loved raw so we are doing literally as much as we can with our schedules they get probably 85% raw and the rest is either grain free dry or wet--I try my hardest to make it wet food, but 2-3 days a week is usually dry. I'm pleased with this for now. You should see my chest freezer--I have about 8 different zip locks, all my proteins and then my organ meat as well.

Leslie
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

What I meant was Gracie's poo issues! She's clearly delighted at the food....

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Tom Cat

Ahh...no poo issues here.

Leslie
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I do plan to add chicken wings, as well as turkey, maybe duck if I can find it. I also have high quality bone meal...

It's not so much a soft poo issue as it is the little bit of blood sometimes, which I am interpreting as a little bit of digestive trouble. Maybe it is due to a need for new bacteria in the gut for digestion of non-cooked food? or maybe it is due to this particular batch of chicken, it is hard to guess.

Do any of you add probiotics? The slippery elm is helping, for sure.

Fran
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Cool Cat

I've never had any problems with bloody poop, you might want to check out the raw cat yahoo group as they have a lot of people who have been feeding raw for a long time. Has your cat had any food sensitivities before?

As far as probiotics I know some dog raw feeders use plain yogurt which does contain them. You could also try buying digestive enzymes, I'm not sure if they'd help you but they couldn't hurt.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I have some on hand, so I will add them to her diet for a while.

And, yes, a few months ago she had a short bout of blood on her poo from a new flavor of canned food, along with her usual brands and flavors. Her problem went away without too much trouble using slippery elm, and now she is adjusted to all of her canned food just fine. She continued to behave completely normally during the whole episode.

My thought is to give her small portions spread out over the day rather than a whole giant meal of raw. She does love it - the purring is so loud and she seems to love the gnawing and smacking too....

Fran
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Senior Cat

Sounds to me like Gracie has always had "issues", perhaps it is just that she takes longer to get used to the new "complete" foods? I have IBD among other things, and when I started to eat healthier, it took my body a while to adjust to the whole foods, too.

Trying smaller meals of raw may help, or you can just wait the issue out and use slippery elm/etc to help ease her transition.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Just following up - yes, smaller portions was the solution! Now she gets a small serving of raw plus a dollop of canned on the side. Her poos look fine now, and there's less, too.

I don't know why it was hard to figure out how much to give her - except that it was hard to see the correlation between chopped chicken pieces and the mushy canned food! Her enthusiasm didn't help, either...

Now I try to imagine her portions in terms of mice - one mouse, half mouse, mouse-and-a-half? That seemed to help.

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page