Might Start Mine on Raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Might Start Mine on Raw

on saturday i got raw chicken to use in a trap to try catch a feral who i found out loved it. though he was to smart for me, he gets into the cage, grabs the chicken in his mouth, gets back out without touching the thing that makes it go of (it goes off really easily, just ask any other of my cats).

anyway, i decided to give the rest of the cats the extra chicken thighs(think thats what it was) and they loved it they had no problem figuring out just how it works, even ate the bones just fine. so i got more today and they ate all four of the pieces of chicken with no problems. i had to cut it up so they couldn't get in fights over it though, think 20 some cats and only four large pieces of chicken. what i think i would give them each night is about a pound worth.

they have done so great with eating raw, so i think i might replace their wet friskies that they get every night with raw, which is about the same price even though they get a little bit less raw. they still have to get 50% of thier diet in dry food, which i know isn't ideal though i only can feed them once a day so there isn't much i can do but give the dry besides. i guess my main question is if it is okay to just feed them raw chicken and possibly turkey or beef but not give them any organs besides? they still have to get dry (which is a mix of instinct, kirkland, and wellness right now) so would it have enough of the vitamins/minerals that they need?

i wouldn't be able to do more than just the raw meat for a while, my parents are thinking i have completly lost it already. at least they are okay with this if i pay for it. and i can only get a weeks worth at a time because of barely any room to put it in the fridge/freezer.

sorry for the confusing post!

-erica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Jr. Cat

Re: Might Start Mine on Raw

I've been doing raw plus canned for the same reason, (lack of organs). I've only been feeding this way for a couple weeks now so I'm no expert but my guess is it would be fine.

I bought my first whole chicken like a week ago for less than 4 dollars. 4.50 lbs I think. I found after cutting up it had some organs inside like liver, heart, and a couple I'm not sure what...gizzard, kidneys and I think the neck was there too?? Anyway, that's gonna last awhile for one cat! And it was pretty cheap. Although I know you said there's not much freezer room, I thought I'd throw that out there.

I also see, occasionally, at my grocery store in the poultry section chicken livers in a little container and packaged hearts and gizzards. Maybe you could ask at your store for that kind of stuff too.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Cool Cat

I have no trouble finding liver but I can't find any other secreting organ (gizzards and heart do not count, they are considered muscle meat). So I too feed a commercial food. My Papa used to work at a butcher, he's retired now but still occasionally works there and he'll try to get me a few kidney. Since I'm only feeding raw to one cat this should be plenty for a while and I can go all raw with Willie.

I am also living in my parent's house, I'm 17, and they've decided that the cat's diet is for me to decide. I want organs I get them, It probably ends up cheaper than the wet food I was feeding and my dad knows it's good for them (Which surprised me, papa understood it was good for them too, maybe he's used to people coming to the butcher for their pets). Truth be told the meat isn't all that expensive for one cat but for as many cats as you have I could see it getting pretty pricey and crowded in the freezer.

I think it's safe to do it this way but I'm not 100% sure, I know that's not much help. I've been doing it like this for a few months now with no ill effects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

i got some really cheap whole chickens from the grocery store today - only $0.70 a pound. i got four of them and squeezed them into the freezer now to figure out how to go about cutting it up. they are getting about a pound and a half of raw each night and easily eat it all.

i better go try and figure out how to cut up the chicken now!

and btw, i'm 16.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Jr. Cat

Cool, if you go to You Tube and search for, "cutting up a whole chicken" there's a bunch of videos for ya to watch.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

i should probably look at that then. i cut up one - kinda. well, its cut up anyway but i had no clue what i was doing. one whole chicken i think will last 3 and half days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page