Raw oily fish for a 7 month cat with grade 3 heart defect. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Raw oily fish for a 7 month cat with grade 3 heart defect.

Fish oils and other essential omegas are proven to support the heart in humans, so if I was to feed my cat raw oily fish (on the bone) once a day and raw chicken (heart, liver, meat on the bone. Basically in its most natural state) for its second meal would this not help support the poor little things heart?

What about adding some raw veg/fruit in with the chicken and making my own dried biscuits by dehydrating then freezing it to serve for later? Would a cat eat this, one that's used to eating processed foods? How can I make it tasty for the cat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 12:15 PM

Re: Raw oily fish for a 7 month cat with grade 3 heart defect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy
Fish oils and other essential omegas are proven to support the heart in humans, so if I was to feed my cat raw oily fish (on the bone) once a day and raw chicken (heart, liver, meat on the bone. Basically in its most natural state) for its second meal would this not help support the poor little things heart?

What about adding some raw veg/fruit in with the chicken and making my own dried biscuits by dehydrating then freezing it to serve for later? Would a cat eat this, one that's used to eating processed foods? How can I make it tasty for the cat?
I have my babies on a totally raw diet and they love it. I've done quite a bit of research on this subject and started feeding them raw food almost a year ago. I actually started looking when my oldest Popeye 20yrs old (God Rest His Soul) was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism. He had stopped grooming himself, vomiting on a daily basis and always had diarreha. Well, I found this company called Felines Pride that sells raw food diets in the form of chicken, turkey or cornish game hen and thought I'd give it a try. One of the ingredients in every recipe is Wild Salmon Oil or Fish Oil. I'm not sure about dredging it over the meat, but it is suppose to have some of the same healthy qualities for our feline family as does us. As for fruits and vegetables...cats are carnivores and don't really benefit from those things. I do know that after feeding him a raw food diet his diarreha stopped, he began grooming his face and the vomiting went from every day to once every other week, if that.

I've just purchased an electric meat grinder so that I can start making my other two boys raw diet at home. Plus some homemade sausage for myself. Hope this helps and God Bless your baby.

You may want to take a look at this site http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm#Introduction , http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php , http://www.felinefuture.com/?page_id=24 and http://felinespride.com/flash/intro.html for more info on this subject.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Raw oily fish for a 7 month cat with grade 3 heart defect.

A raw diet is a great idea! However you must feed meat (heart is considered meat not organ for raw feeding), liver, another organ (kidney, pancreas, spleen, etc.) and bone. Some people like feeding fish and others say it is not healthy (look in the nutrition section to find out why, there are some threads made recently that ask why fish is bad). I don't feed fish but supplement with fish body oil. No need for fruits and veggies, these animals are all carnivore. You don't need to grind either, feed the meat whole, the whole bone, etc. and it will be great for their teeth. you can feed any meat but for bones you'll have to stick to chicken wings, chicken ribs, rabbit ribs, cornish hen bones or whole small animals like frozen mice or rats.

Check some of the other threads to find how to balance the diet (how much of everything to eat). The general guideline is 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other organ.

Check out this site: http://www.rawfedcats.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page