Can someone please help me go raw... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Can someone please help me go raw...

I usually feed my cats sensitive food (Samson needs it cos he's had a sensitive stomach since having liver toxicity last year). Neither of them are all that keen on the wet varieties so they usually just get biscuits, which I know lots of people on here say isn't good for them.. They do however LOVE when I feed them bits of raw meat, and I've noticed stools from both of them are much more firm when fed more raw meat & less biscuits..

I have read the post about working how much of what to feed in a raw diet but I'm still abit confused as to how to do the exact calculations and WHAT to feed...

Is there anyone that would be willing to help me work out exactly how much/what to feed my two if I give you their ages/weights??

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Can someone please help me go raw...

Yup I will, tell me how much they weigh and if they are at a good weight or are overweight/underweight. The numbers I'll give you do not have to be followed exactly, they are guidelines and as you feed for a little while you will adjust them to what your cat requires.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thankyou so so much! Samson is 5kg (11 pounds i think) and Meeka is still only a kitten (6 months old) and she weighs aout 2.5kg at the moment (5.5 pounds).
Neither is overweight, Sammy has a tiny bit of a 'fat sack' so I guess he could do with a TINY weight loss but otherwise, both are in great condition.
Also, I have Meeka on a Vitamin/Mineral supplement just until she's 1 as I'm not feeding her food formulated for kittens as it makes Sammy sick..

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Cool Cat

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet, I was away visiting colleges but I'm going to do the calculations now and will get back to you sometimes tonight.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Cool Cat

Alright, here we go. I did 2% body weight a day for Sammy, it's an average starting amount and since he's not very overweight I don't see any need to go less than this, just feeding raw instead of commercial food, especially dry will drop any extra weight right off. Keep an eye on both of their weights, especially his since he's an adult, if he drops too much feed more, if he gets fatter feed less, though I doubt this will happen (keep in mind that numbers on a scale are not the best to go by, muscle mass may increase on raw making weight increase, so FEEL the cat, check for ribs, you should feel them without trouble but should not see them unless he stretches). If he seems very hungry on 2% you can bump him up to 3% and just watch the weight. The feeding amounts will be split into different sections of the diet. First how much total amount (weight) of everything he'll eat a day, then the total amount of everything he'll eat a week. After that I'll split the weight of food in a week into the different sections: meat, Bone, liver and "other" organ (not liver and not heart). After about a week of feeding you'll know what each amount looks like and can pretty much just go by eye of how much to feed. You don't need to be perfect, being a little off is not going to hurt your cat as long as he gets all of the categories regularly and is staying at a good weight. Some numbers are rounded.

Samson:

Amount of food per day: 3.5 ounces
Amount of food per week: 24.5 ounces
Amount of MEAT per WEEK: 19.6 ounces (80% of diet)
Amount of BONE per WEEK: 2.45 ounces (10% of diet)
Amount of LIVER per WEEK: 1.2 ounces (5% of diet)
Amount of "OTHER" ORGAN per WEEK:1.2 ounces (5% of diet)

As you'll see I follow the 80:10:5:5 guideline for amounts of each category of food. You may adjust this to fit your cat. The things that are usually adjusted are bone and liver. Some cats will get loose stools (after being fully transitioned and settled on the food, normal loose stool during transition does not call for bone adjustment yet) which means they need more bone, some will get constipated which calls for more liver. Do not way overdue the liver however as TOO much can cause some medical problems. I also want to mention why it's on a weekly amount basis. You are not expected to feed all of the food categories (meat, bone, liver and other organ) every single day. Every day is not a balanced meal but the total food consumed in a week should be balanced and that is why the percentages for the entire week are shown, you will probably feed a week's worth of liver in one day.

For little Meeka I did 3% body weight per day. A kitten should be eating more of her weight than an adult cat, she is after all still growing and is probably more active than an adult cat. Truthfully you can feed as much as your kitten wants until growth starts slowing, if on 3% she is still often hungry feel free to up the amount for a while and once she reaches maturity, if she starts to pork out, slowly cut back. I rounded some numbers, I mainly rounded up since she is a kitten.

Amount of food per day: 2.64 ounces
Amount of food per week:18.5 ounces
Amount of MEAT per WEEK: 14.8 ounces
Amount of BONE per WEEK: 1.85 ounces
Amount of LIVER per WEEK: 1 ounce
Amount of "OTHER" ORGAN per WEEK: 1 ounce

If you want me to change any of these to grams or another measurement to make things easier I'd be happy to.

You generally end up feeding plain meat every day, a bony meal every third day or so, liver once a week and "other" organ once a week.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions about anything I've written, hoe I got my numbers or just raw in general, please ask
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thank you SOOOO much for spending so much time on working it out for me
I tried feeding them some lambs fry over the weekend, cos they've really only ever had raw chicken, beef & lamb meats (no organs) but it seems they didn't like it so maybe I'll have to try cutting it smaller and giving it with some other meat.. I dunno?

Bec

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Cool Cat

They each have their own preferences, I know Willie will eat beef, chicken, turkey and pork but will not TOUCH venison. When trying a new meat type I always start with a meat they like and throw a little piece of the new stuff in with that, if they eat it I toss in another little piece and if he gobbles that up I'll give him the whole big piece of it. Cats are naturally suspicious of new foods, they have to make sure it's not gonna make them sick.

I have quite a hard time with organs, he dislikes the liver and kidney, both of which he has to eat because he has to have liver and kidney is the only "other" organ I can find. So I have to sneak it into where he's chewing on his meat and hope he doesn't notice because when he does he'll shake his head until it flies out So he has to have a little tiny bit (all i can trick him into eating in one sitting) of these things several times a week instead of larger amounts once or twice a week.

Remember not to go all raw until you have the kitties eating bone, liver and another organ, so do half raw and half canned until you get to that point. you are quite lucky they took to the meat so fast, I can't even get Neko to think about eating the meat, I've sneaked it into his wet food with success but it'll be a LONG road if I'm ever going to get him eating meat and everything without tricking him.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Does heart count as "other organ" or am I better sticking to something like kidney?

*edit* I'm alos having a hard time getting them to eat bones.. Samson used to love his chicken necks but won't eat them now. Meeka ate two the first time I fed them to her but the next day, only about 1/4 of one got eaten.. Any tips?

Bec

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 05:51 AM
Jr. Cat

Heart is a muscle so go with kidney. I'll give my cat a chicken heart with something like a wing or back that's got more bone in it though.

One thing I do with the larger bones (or like a turkey neck) is get a pair of pliers and crush the bone. Of course make sure those pliers are clean!

The first bones Kiki had were chicken rib bones. Nice and easy to start out with so she could figure out what to do.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 05:20 PM

~Siameseifuplz~

So this recipe you've mapped out here, is this a complete balanced diet that can be fed to these cats all the time? I've recently been exploring the possibilities of making my own cat food. I know the all dry diet is no good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page