Progress on raw :) but disappointed at the butchers :(! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Progress on raw :) but disappointed at the butchers :(!

Well, Gracie's tummy seems to be all settled in with her new regimen - about half raw and half good canned. I think I was overfeeding her a little which was part of the problem, she seems fine with maybe two tablespoons of raw plus a dollop of canned on the side. So I have done chopped chicken dark meat & chicken liver, and we are now on chopped turkey breast & chicken liver, and ground turkey dark meat & beef liver. I've frozen it into a ice cube tray for portions, and keep the rest in the freezer.

Too bad I bought so much canned food, it will take us forever to finish at this rate, but oh well. I think I will drop the Evangers when we are all done, and only keep feeding the By Nature organics and the Evo 95% duck and venison later on. Those are by far her favorite canned flavors, and I think they are the best in quality.

But I must say I am very disappointed at the offerings at the two butcher's counters I have been to - the quantities and availability will be tricky. All the unusual poultry or other meats like venison must be special ordered or come in vast quantities. (Fifty pounds of venison, anyone???) And just beef liver, no chicken or other types... I was fantasizing I'd be in the kitchen like a Julia Child for kitties , cheerful chopping quail hearts into duck tidbits, with venison and squab wings on the side...

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Progress on raw :) but disappointed at the butchers :(!

I'm glad her tummy problems have subsided and she's liking her raw. Don't go overboard on the liver though, too much can cause problems (You sounded as though you were feeding liver every day, I may be mistaken though). Have you had any luck finding other secreting organs? That's what I had trouble with. My Papa took me to Market Basket and we found kidneys there (we had to ask) they sold gizzards too (good for teeth cleaning) and chicken livers but the regular stores around here didn't have anything like that.

As for venison, wait until deer hunting season, my uncle hunts and gave me some meat, I'm only feeding one cat so I didn't need much. Unfortunately Willie wouldn't touch it
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Re: Progress on raw :) but disappointed at the butchers :(!

No, no luck finding anything else, but I think I will broaden my search - there are a couple of markets that specialize in Mexican foods, and I bet I will be able to find more unusual meats or cuts.

And I am giving Gracie liver every day, but the proportion is very small - either an ounce of liver chopped into a pound or more of the regular meat, or a teaspoon of powder stirred into a pound of meat. I hope that is okay? The 'recipe' I am following is the recommendations of the premix from Feline Instincts. The premix has all the other important nutrients - you just add the raw meats yourself with a little water to get everything to blend together.

She does love it - the only time when she hesitated between the raw and the canned was with the Evo venison - she took a bite of that before moving over to the raw on her plate...Otherwise, she purrs as the plate is lowered, checks both portions, and then chomps on the raw first...

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page