Monthly Cost of Raw Diet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Monthly Cost of Raw Diet

I did a quick search but hadn't found exactly what I was looking for so I apologize as I am sure this is probably a "re-post" topic.

How much do you all spend on average per month on feeding your cats a raw diet? How many cats do you have?

We have 4 cats, and to be honest, in all of these years I've had cats I never thought or knew to feed them a raw diet until I found this website. It interests me because one of my cats has had chronic diarrhea that we are now trying to correct with medications and I am concerned that he could end up having some kind of sensitivity to food. We feed the cats Nutro Max Complete Care indoor formula, but within the first few ingredients is corn meal and such which I have seen mentioned on here as something that isn't good. Also now the vet has me feeding the cats Science Diet W/D while Doodle is on medication for the diarrhea, they said they wanted him on a high fiber diet, but now that makes me wonder because cats need a lot of protein.

I've always been into caring for my cats the best I can and feeding them a good food and I certainly want them to live long, healthy lives. However, being my fiance and I just bought a house and are heavily watching our budget and such I have to take that into consideration as to what is going to fit into our budget at this time and if it is feasible for us to make the switch now or wait a little while longer.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Mommy of 2 girls and 3 boys
Peanutty, Little Kitty, Doodle, Enzo, and Scruff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: Monthly Cost of Raw Diet

There are many ways to find cheap or even free meat. You can find a lot of them listed at the following link:

http://rawdiettruth.blogspot.com/sea...20cheap%20meat

Last fall I placed a free ad in a local shopper offering to pay 20/lb for old or freezer burned meat. Several people responded to the ad, a couple of whom wouldn't even take payment for the meat. One couple, though, cleaned out their apparently humungous chest freezers. From them, I acquired over 300 lbs of meat for 20/lb. I spent almost 6 months feeding my 3 dogs and 15 cats from that bounty.

With some imagination and networking, raw feeding can be very cheap!

Laurie
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Tom Cat

I believe when I did my math it costs me something like $10-$15 a month to feed two cats raw. The lower end being that I have a lot of free venison right now--from craigslist as well as my father in law. I also hope come November/December I'll have a whole deer as well as a number of rabbits, some squirrel and maybe some quail.

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 05:36 AM
Tom Cat

A little over a dollar a day to feed all four of my cats.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Cool Cat

Well I have no idea because I don't really keep track of what I buy and when it runs out, I buy different stuff at different times and use it all at the same time, but if it's as cheap as these guys say I don't understand why people say it's "too expensive" and that's why they can't feed it. I really need to make Neko eat it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

It's a great organ day here at Shadowood! I stopped by a butcher's and picked up over 100# of free beef organs that he'd been saving for me, and that was only a little over half of what he had for me. I couldn't fit it all in my car, so I'll have to go back and pick up the rest later!

Looks like mostly lungs with a few bags of livers and various other organs tossed in, but hey, I'll take anything he wants to give me!

I'll be set for organs for a while now ... except for hearts. His customers always want to keep the hearts, so I never seem to be able to get my hands on hearts for the cats.

Laurie
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Banned

I have five cats. Feeding commercial, I easily spent $200 a month. Feeding raw, I pay somewhat less than half that.

I get turkey drumsticks, chicken rib meat&bones and chicken quarters from Price Rite, pork and beef meats from BJ's, liver and kidney from my local grocery store, and fresh chicken hearts and ground chicken wings from Whole Foods.

A.C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page