I hope I'm doing this right... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I hope I'm doing this right...

I picked up some bone in chicken breasts, a package chicken hearts/gizzards, and a container of chicken livers. I used kitchen sheers and cut up the chicken breast in small chunks with small pieces of bone attached to some pieces, cut up the hearts/gizzards and mixed it in a little with the breast pieces, I placed small portions (maybe a handful or so) into plastic freezer bags, and then added a tiny bit of liver to each one and kind of squished it in to combine it into the rest of the meet.

I fed my 4 cats last night a small portion each of 1 bag last night with a tiny bit of their favorite canned "goody" chicken and liver flavored wet food smeared around on top. My 2 boys dug in like it was nothing and cleaned their plates, my girls on the other hand are another story. Peanutty ate a tiny tiny bit of it, she mostly licked the canned food off the top and maybe ate a couple tiny pieces of the chicken that made it into her mouth, but other then that she walked away. Little Kitty did the same but didn't eat any chunks of food. I ended up giving little kitty a can of Innova Evo to eat but Peanutty even refused to eat that (i've tried 2 different flavors of the Innova and Peanutty won't eat it). I ended having to give Peanutty some of the Nutro kibble just so she would eat but I don't want to feed them Nutro anymore.

I'm thinking tonight I will just mixe in some tiny pieces of chicken into a wet food and giving that to Peanutty and Little Kitty to see if they will eat it, with my luck their find those pieces and avoid them Maybe I should try turkey breast or beef? I really think their issue is "chewing" and being stubborn to trying something new. Peanutty at least licked the chicken but she wouldn't "chew" it.

Does everyone here use a scale when measuring out their food? I just kind of eyeballed it because I don't have a scale. My boys ended up eating all of the raw food that was left on Peanutty and Little Kitty's plates after they finished theirs, I was concerned they were eating too much.

Mommy of 2 girls and 3 boys
Peanutty, Little Kitty, Doodle, Enzo, and Scruff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Cool Cat

Re: I hope I'm doing this right...

Welcome to the world of raw!

You sound like you are on the right track. I know some people who give liver/organ everyday in VERY small amounts but you do have to be careful. If you over do liver it CAN be harmful. Hearts and gizzards do not count as organ so you can feed as much of that as you'd like.

For the more reluctant cats you might want to start with just one thing, just the chicken breast, without the bone attached and without anything else. Once they are good with that make your pieces bigger and bigger (continue giving canned food for at least as one of their meals) so that the cats can learn to chew, it is hard for them to learn and if they are rushed they may try to swallow more than they can handle, so start small. once they can chew well you can start adding bone and everything else to make the diet complete and can stop canned food. Going one new thing at a time can also help you to tell what they do and don't like. It's possible for a cat to not eat anything in the mix because there is a gizzard on it and they hate gizzards, which is fine, you don't HAVE to feed gizzards.

Are you trying to roughly follow the 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other organ model?

Remember you still need to find the "other" organ to make a balanced diet, kidney will probably be easiest to find but spleen or pancreas can be used as well, just not heart.

I do measure out my meals to make sure they are each around the right weight (For Willie that is 1.4 ounces). I don't really measure out organs by themselves though, my scale is not that sensitive. I just cut them into like quarter sized hunks and feed them twice a week. For bones I'll just give a wing or two racks of chicken ribs every three or so days, I'm not going to try and cut up stuff with bones in it. After a while it become pretty easy to eyeball the right sized meals, and you figure out how many meals a chicken breast makes, how many a chicken thigh makes etc.

I would stick to one meat source until they get going, too many changes can just make them more wary of dinner time. Once they get into eating raw though, start adding more and more meat types. whenever I add a novel meat source I do half new stuff and half stuff he's had before so I can sneak a small piece of the new in with the old and if he likes it I'll entice him to eat the rest of the new meat.

Keep up the good work and tell us how everyone does with their transition!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page