Sources of meat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Sources of meat?

Just wondering where everyone finds their meat and organ. I'm just trying to get started on raw, so I need some tips on how to best go about finding the ingredients. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: Sources of meat?

This link will provide you with all sorts of ideas for locating meat sources:

http://rawdiettruth.blogspot.com/sea...20cheap%20meat

I have placed free ads in my local shopper and received large quantities (hundreds of pounds) of free or cheap meat from folks who are cleaning out their freezers.

Laurie
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Cat Addict

I have found bulk packs of chicken (plus chicken liver in one pound tubs) at a market that caters to the Hispanic population, plus bulk packs of chicken wings at Costco ($11 for 10 pounds), but I have not found sources for anything more interesting. The butchers in town can order stuff, but the quantities can be a problem (50 lbs. of venison at a time?) so I have not gone that route.

I will be interested to see what others have suggested. Laurie, that link is interesting...

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Cool Cat

I just use grocery stores because I can't drive and my parents don't want to take me to Asian or other ethnic grocery stores that may have more organs and interesting meats that our culture doesn't use too much of. Liver I can get no problem at the store. Chicken, pork, beef and turkey can be bought at the store. Kidney was a pain in the butt but my grandpa called around and found a store that had it a few towns over. BUT if you want to make the best of the diet as far as price goes then getting stuff over the internet and from local butchers works best. Butchers will give you things that people have no use for like chicken necks for cheap/free and over the internet you can ask for (don't look, ask) meat with freezer burn that people want to get rid of and get it for free.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:52 PM

I get most of my raw meat from China town. I feed both of my cats and a German Shepherd Dog raw, so I have to pick up about at least 10 lbs of raw food weekly. China town is great since they often have "old" whole chicken for about $1.50 each. The best thing about China town is they tend to have a variety of organ meats such as hearts, livers, kidneys, and untreated stomachs for a great price.

I also go to Costco and buy those packages of chicken wings, specifically for the cats. Also, in the frozen foods section, I pick up packages of frozen whole sardines for all the animals. I am currently looking for a good turkey supplier to broaden their diets since the cats for whatever reason, cannot keep beef down.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned

Chicken liver, beef kidneys and beef heart, I get from my local grocery store for pennies a pound.

Turkey legs and chicken quarters, I pick up from a discount store (PriceRite - I can get these for less than a dollar a pound sometimes).

Beef and pork, I purchase from BJ's Club.

Chicken hearts, ground chicken wings and (hopefully soon) some additional organ parts, I have to drive a bit to the nearest Whole Foods Market.

I bought a chest freezer to help keep up with everything!

A.C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page