Cat Doesn't Know What Raw Is - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Cat Doesn't Know What Raw Is

Wow, I've certainly been starting plenty of topics... then again this is my first cat where I've actually had complete control over it.. .so... yeah.

Anyways, I've been reading about the raw diet and since my dad is a hunter (and I live in a town where everyone hunts/fishes) I figured 'what the heck'. I am considering changing vets, though, because when I told him that Mister B was a solely wet food fluffy he told me I should feed some dry for the teeth.... the first thing I ever heard about the dry food diet is that it did nothing for teeth. Mister B doesn't chew, anyways.

There is one roadblock, however. And it is a big one. Mister B doesn't know what raw food is. My dad regularly cuts his own meat and was doing some bear on the island. I asked him for a chunk for the kitty. I handed it to Mister B who sniffed it and then ignored it. At first I thought he was a picky kitty and would only eat cat food (hallelujah) but he eats cooked chicken and hot dogs just fine. I never considered that any cat would pass up some raw meat. I know that all my other animals have been fed some from the moment they came home but I always thought that ANY cat would know what it was. He knows what mice are and I've witnessed him eat them...

I've handed Mister B raw meat twice and both times it's been rejected. I'm wondering exactly how I'm supposed to convince him that it's food. Should I mash it up with his wet food portions? Putting it on top does nothing as the last piece got picked up and thrown out before any consumption. Is there any powder or something I can throw on top for tastiness?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Cat Doesn't Know What Raw Is

Quote:
I never considered that any cat would pass up some raw meat.
I must laugh, one of my cat refuses to eat meat (in any form) and the other did need to be tricked into eating it before he realized that it was food (loves it now though). Many people have trouble getting cats to eat raw meat.

Anyway, I got Willie to eat it by cooking some chicken, chopping it up into kibble sized pieces and chopping very few raw pieces up into the same size and hiding them within the cooked meat. Once he accidentally ate one and figured out it wasn't as evil as he thought we started to work up the size as his jaw strength grew. You said your cat likes cooked meat so this might be one way to go about it. It's also possible he might just not like that kind of meat but I would at least try and trick him into trying some before deciding that he does not like bear meat, after all how can he know without getting a taste?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Re: Cat Doesn't Know What Raw Is

Yeah, all my cats have been 'trained' to eat raw meat since kittenhood and Mister B is the first cat I've had who did not come as a kitten. It just shocked me speechless... I've never seen a cat do that.

Hmmm... I'll have to try that. I know dad has some bear legs in the freezer. I should ask him to cut some up for Mister B. Cook half... etcetera. I, personally, don't like bear or moose that much so I could understand him not liking the taste, heh. Unfortunately, deer and elk is not readily available in our house so I might have to ask other people for it. If all else fails chicken is always in the house...

Thanks for the advice ^^ I'll definitely try it... sneakily...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page