Whole Chicken - Enough Organs or not? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Whole Chicken - Enough Organs or not?

Just wondering if a whole chicken has enough organs in it or not? It does seem to have plenty of bones and meat, but would there be enough organs in one if feeding almost all raw?

Getting a whole chicken from Costco i found out is the cheapest way to get raw meat @ only $0.99 a pound. However one chicken lasts only 3 days, thats what i get for feeding so many cats...

Also, should i feed some beef as well as chicken? They aren't at all sick of chicken, but wouldn't having a few differant meats be better than just one?

I can get chicken hearts really cheap @ the grocery store my sister works at, what do they qualify as?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: Whole Chicken - Enough Organs or not?

A whole chicken isn't going to provide enough organ meats because the only two "parts" of a chicken that are considered organs in terms of raw feeding are the liver and kidneys ... and chicken kidneys are tiny. Chicken hearts are a great source of taurine for cats, so definitely feed them if you can get them, but remember that hearts are considered muscle meat in terms of raw feeding, not organ. Gizzards, also, are considered muscle, not organ. If you're feeding whole chicken, you'll have to buy supplemental secreting organ meats (kidney, spleen, pancreas, testicle, brain) and probably more liver, as well. Also, most cats can't or won't eat most of the larger chicken bones. They should be able to handle wing tips and necks, but the other larger bones may need to be ground for most cats.

It's definitely a good idea to include as many different types of meat and organs as possible. Different meats have different nutritional makeups, so feeding a variety is the best way to make sure your cats are eating a nutritionally complete diet. Also, you don't want to get your cats addicted to a single meat source so that they won't even try others. Variety is the key to avoiding fussy, finicky eaters. My cats eat chicken, turkey, venison, beef, pork, game birds, and even bison. If I can find a source for mutton or lamb, that'll be included, too.

Laurie
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

okay thanks

do you think that the bone in a whole chicken is to much bone or not? they are really at eating bones if a smash them a bit first.

another question: one of my cats will only eat pate wet food, nothing else. i really want her to start and try eating raw and she will lick the chicken but not actually eat it. would it work better for her to get some ground meat and work her up to eating actual meat chunks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

The rule of thumb for the Raw Prey Model diet is to feed 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ. This doesn't necessarily need to be fed at each meal (though I prefer to do it that way), but should equal out to approximately those percentages over the course of a week of feeding. You will also find that certain cats may need a bit more organ and a bit less bone, or vice versa. Keep an eye on the stool. If it's too loose, add a bit more bone and less organ. If it's too hard, a bit less bone and/or a tiny bit more organ.

You can use the following database to determine the amount of bone to meat in various types of meat (sometimes this link can be fussy and unavailable. Just keep trying):

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

When dealing with a finicky cat, there are all sorts of tricks you can try to get her used to the taste of raw. Try cutting meat into tiny pieces and mixing a few into her canned food. Or puree meat pieces with a little water in your blender and mix that into her canned food. Also, try different types of meat. One of my cats absolutely would NOT touch raw to save her life ... until I offered her venison. That switched on her inner predator, and now she eats any type of meat I put in front of her. If your cat doesn't want to eat muscle meat, offer tiny pieces of organs. My cats all go after the liver on their plates first. You can also try cooking the meat initially. Some cats who won't touch raw meat can be transitioned from cooked meat to raw gradually.

Just be persistent and imaginative. Sooner or later you'll offer your girl something that she just can't resist.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page