Am I doing this right? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Am I doing this right?

Ok, so I have started to transition China to raw. So far I offered her some chicken liver which she didn't like, turkey giblets, also not a fan, some hamburger, which she liked, chicken, also liked, and then I bought some stew meat, pork and beef which she loves. She is still getting canned at bed as well as dry during the day. She is three months old now and i don't know how much she weighs but she seems to be growing accordingly and is not too big or small. I don't think she can gnaw on bones quite yet but I am going to try some ribs as I know they are softer. Does this sound like an ok assortment and what other kind of offal should I try since she didn't like the liver? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adrienne, mom to three non-fur babies, two of the dog variety, and falling in love with China and Dolce!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Am I doing this right?

While she is still on the commercial food continue getting her to eat various meats and work on getting her to eat teensy tiny pieces of liver and kidney (or pancreas or spleen) that you stick on her meat. Start by only sticking one teensy piece and then move on to more. My cat hates organs so I still do this and will probably always do this but so long as I can slice holes in his meat and stick the liver in there and stick a tiny piece where he is gnawing so he accidentally eats it I'm fine with it and he's getting a balanced diet. She can't come off the canned food until she eats liver, one other organ and bony meals (even if you have to smash them with a mallet first). Liver is a MUST they cannot go all raw without it so you will have to trick her into eating it.

I don't know if you used hamburger just for transition or not but try to avoid using ground meat. There has been some evidence to suggest grinding breaks down certain nutrients and it obviously does not help the teeth like whole meats do. Ribs are a great bone to start with.

Around 6 months (or whenever you spay her) I would stop the dry food. This is when cats will start to pack on pounds unless you adjust their diet accordingly.

All in all you are doing great and China will be much healthier thanks to your decision. Keep up the good work!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the great info and advice! I did just give her some hamburger because that's what I had on hand that night, she has only had it once and seems to prefer her cubed meat to it anyways. I will follow your advice on 'sneaking' the offal into the food. Hope it works!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adrienne, mom to three non-fur babies, two of the dog variety, and falling in love with China and Dolce!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat

So today I bought her a trout, pig tails, beef liver, and ribs. She had a fish head which she liked, I think I can sneak the offal into that and have her eat it but I will try the beef liver plain first and see if she likes it. I think the pig tail should be soft enough for her to eat. Keeping my fingers crossed that she likes what I got!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Cat Addict

Mine always prefer cubes/whole pieces to ground. I do use hamburger occasionally, but I get mine from my uncle so I trust it more than store bought. I've found if I feed ground too many days in a row they stop eating it, no matter what 'topping' i put on it.

I do give them 2 eggs every week/2 weeks, and I try to give them as much of the 'meat juices' as I can. It's supposed to be good for them...from what I've heard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page