Planning to feed upcoming kitten raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Planning to feed upcoming kitten raw

So we are soon to be getting a bengal kitten. And I really want to immediately start him on raw(because I have had much too hard a time getting Tyger to eat raw). I just wanted to check up on some things. Feeding a cat prey model diet is pretty much the same as feeding a dog right? as in 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ(liver and other). Is the percentage to feed higher? Also do I feed the percentage of future weight or is there a percentage for kittens? Thanks for any help! I really want to be prepare to start immediately when he comes home hopefully in august!

ETA: Also what meats would be THE BEST to feed a cat? I feed my dog mostly llama green tripe and beef with turkey necks for bone content. But I wasnt sure if I should feed more stuff like chicken and such to the kitty....chicken is definitely cheaper and I havent been able to take advantage of that because the dog is allergic. So itd be nice if I could feed mostly that. I can also get a hold of rabbit for farely cheap...but I have to skin it myself, so not so much fun. lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Planning to feed upcoming kitten raw

Glad to hear you are going to bring your kitty up on raw, starting early is so much easier than trying to switch a kibble addict later. Your percentages are correct. As for the meat you use, you can use anything but meaty bones need to be from something small, chicken wings, chicken necks, chicken ribs and I believe rabbit ribs are good ones. Or you can get frozen mice/rats/guinea pigs which have the right sized bones.
For a kitten if you are feeding chicken wings, necks or rabbit ribs I would put them in a baggie and smash it with a mallet first, the whole bone might be too much for their little jaws.

I have always been told the feeding amount is based on their adult weight. But basically feed them however much they'll eat. Tripe is less commonly fed to cats, I honestly don't know why. You always hear about green tripe for dogs but rarely ever hear about it for cats, I wonder if they tend not to like it.

Good luck with the new kitten!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! I have one more question I forgot to ask! How many meals per day should I be feeding? He will be 10-12 weeks old when he comes home.

ETA: Yeah I figured it'd be a lot easier than its been with Tyger, hopefully he takes right to it! Tyger I still can only get her to eat partially cooked ground turkey. But we are getting there...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Cool Cat

When my guys were kittens, though I was a kibble feeder at the time as I didn't know any better, I did three meals a day so I'd try that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page