Toxoplasmosis - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Toxoplasmosis

Is this a concern for any of you who feed your cats raw? I started feeding my cat raw months ago. He wasn't fond of it for the most part so I stopped. But now he's showing symptoms for toxoplasmosis, and I just read that cats can get this from eating raw meat. I haven't gotten the test results back, but I feel so horrible for having possibly made my cat sick. And his vet tells me it can be fatal too! It's driving me absolutely nuts waiting for the results.

Also, I not only fed him the frozen raw for cats; a few times I gave him unfrozen raw chicken from the grocery store (after washing it), and he loved it, but I've found out since that I shouldn't have done that since grocery store meat is not as fresh. At the time I didn't think twice about it, but it made perfect sense after someone pointed it out. I feel like such a moron.

Anyway, I've read the thread below and a few others and it seems many of you feed grocery store raw and don't have much concern for parasites. Has noone in this forum had this problem before? I can't think of any other way he could have gotten this.

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.ph...=56992&start=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Toxoplasmosis

I've never had any problems with anything, but toxoplasmosis can be caused by raw meat. It is easily killed by being frozen for a couple of days in a household freezer, most meats in the store have already been frozen so it's not usually a concern, it's more of a concern in wild caught meat. did you freeze your meat before feeding it? It can be very harmful but usually the most severe cases occur in cats who are already ill, are immuno-compromised or are over vaccinated. I have also heard kibble fed animals getting toxoplasmosis, probably from some other source.

I really hope your kitty gets better no matter what illness he has. I would not stop raw feeding but I would be diligent about freezing because it does indeed kill the toxo.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

yeah when I fed him the raw chicken it was before I had read that it should be frozen to kill the bacteria. So no I didn't think to freeze it at first, i thought their bodies were built to handle it. I did start freezing it since but that doesn't stop what damage could have already been done. And yes, he is immune suppressed, and I've gotten some of his blood count test back today and it appears there may be something else wrong with him. I'll have the Toxo Titer back in a few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Banned

Good luck with your kitty, Fletcherkitty! I hope he gets well soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page