Suddenly she doesn't like it :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Suddenly she doesn't like it :(

I've been trying to switch our cat Sophie over to raw food, and at first it seemed to be going well. She was accepting small pieces of chicken, beef, etc quite nicely, and was even learning to chew larger pieces. So we decided to transition her to a bit of kibble in the morning and raw food at night.

The problem is, after a couple of days she's just gone off of raw food. At first, she would eat it all, then she started just picking at it, and last night she refused to eat any of it. Do cats normally do that? she is even more picky about organs and bones. Even with us smashing up bones with a hammer she's very leery of bones. That's why we still give her Origen for one meal a day.

What would make her refuse to eat something that she seemed to really like before? Do I just need to mix it up more, and offer her a wider variety?

If it makes any difference, Sophie is 11 years old and pretty fat. She's never been particularly picky before, and used to eat pretty much anything she could get her paws on, especially if she saw us eating it first. She really is a little pig but, for some reason, she has gotten really fussy. I wonder if she's just tired of chewing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 12:02 PM

Re: Suddenly she doesn't like it :(

Interesting!!! Have you noticed any barf or diarrhea or any strange smells? I'm wondering if she's had some kind of negative reaction that would prevent her from eating it.

If that's not it, what type of dry food are you giving her? If it's loaded with carbs, or even if she's getting most of her nutrients from the dry stuff during the day, she may not want to eat anymore by evening when you're giving raw.

I just wanted to say, since you mention she is overweight and suddenly not eating raw as she was, be aware that she is still eating enough of *something*. As I'm sure you're aware, cats can quickly (within a week or two of constant malnourishment, including not eating) develop "fatty liver" (which can lead to death)... It occurs particularly in overweight cats that suddenly stop getting enough to eat on a daily basis. ("Enough" being defined as a healthy calorie intake level for your cat, whatever that may be!)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick reply! I didn't expect to hear back from someone so soon!

I haven't noticed any diarrhea, but she did throw up a couple of days ago, and this morning there was a streak on the carpet where she'd been rubbing her bum. When I cleaned up her vomit though, it seemed to be mostly un-chewed kibble. She's actually done this for almost as long as we've had her- inhaling her kibble and then throwing it up again a few hours later. We have an incident every week or so, which is one of the reasons we thought that raw food might help her.

The dry food she's on is called Orijen, which is high in protein and grain free ( ingredient list ). I think they have a canned food now too, but we are wanting to finish off the bag of dry stuff we've got first.

I think she is getting energy because when we go to fill her bowl there is always some food left. When she wouldn't eat her raw food we did eventually give up and get her some more dry food after a few hours. By that point the meat wasn't good to eat anyway. She didn't eat then,but it was gone this morning.

I wonder if part of the problem is that Sophie isn't used to eating a whole meal in one go and prefers to sort of snack intermittently throughout the day. So when I put the meat down, now that it's no longer a novelty, she doesn't bother to come over and investigate until she's actually hungry - at which point it's gone bad anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiyles
Thanks for your quick reply! I didn't expect to hear back from someone so soon!

I haven't noticed any diarrhea, but she did throw up a couple of days ago, and this morning there was a streak on the carpet where she'd been rubbing her bum. When I cleaned up her vomit though, it seemed to be mostly un-chewed kibble. She's actually done this for almost as long as we've had her- inhaling her kibble and then throwing it up again a few hours later. We have an incident every week or so, which is one of the reasons we thought that raw food might help her.

The dry food she's on is called Orijen, which is high in protein and grain free ( ingredient list ). I think they have a canned food now too, but we are wanting to finish off the bag of dry stuff we've got first.

I think she is getting energy because when we go to fill her bowl there is always some food left. When she wouldn't eat her raw food we did eventually give up and get her some more dry food after a few hours. By that point the meat wasn't good to eat anyway. She didn't eat then,but it was gone this morning.

I wonder if part of the problem is that Sophie isn't used to eating a whole meal in one go and prefers to sort of snack intermittently throughout the day. So when I put the meat down, now that it's no longer a novelty, she doesn't bother to come over and investigate until she's actually hungry - at which point it's gone bad anyway.
You mentioned that she is overweight. Are you leaving the kibble out for her to eat whenever she wants? If so, that is probably one reason she is overweight. She should be limited to two to three meals per day instead of free-feeding which can lead to obesity and possibly diabetes. Especially at her age. Unfortunately I found this out the hard way a few years ago with my then twelve year old weighing 20+ pounds because of free-feeding.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. Are you grinding her food or just giving it to her in chunks? You might want to try grinding some of the meat in your blender or food processor if you don't have a meat grinder. After grinding, try adding some small chunks of meat to the ground meat and mix a couple of drops of fish oil supplement for both the omega 3 benefits and for the fishy smell which should attract her and possibly get her to eat the raw dish. Give her about 2-3 ounces for breakfast and lunch, if you feed her three times a day. If you only feed twice per day do as mentioned in the other post, feed her kibble for dinner instead of breakfast. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page