Help me with my math please! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Help me with my math please!

Ok, so I think it is 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ right? China weighs 4 and 3/4's lbs and is a little over three months. I know that she should eat whatever she is willing to consume but just to check it would be .04 ounces of organ and bone a week but I can't figure the math on the 80% meat, I never did well in math lol.

Also, I have tried some things with bone, smashed at this point, like turkey backs and ribs and she doesn't seem interested in eating them. I tried egg with shell, smashed and she wouldn't eat the shell either so I haven't been able to get any bone into her yet. Should I just keep offering or do you guys have some other ideas for boney meals?

She is still eating about 1/4 cup wellness kitten so I know she is still getting enough calcium and tanurine from that but I would like to wean her off that soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adrienne, mom to three non-fur babies, two of the dog variety, and falling in love with China and Dolce!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: Help me with my math please!

This is tough because she is still a growing kitten and will be for 9 more mos. I know that the recommended starting point for adult cat raw food portions is 2-3% daily of their ideal weight. But I'm not sure what percent a growing kitten should be fed. 5% of their current weight maybe? 10%? I just don't know.

Well, as an example, let's say you're going to feed her 5% of her current weight (which will have to be constantly adjusted as she grows). In that case, her "general guideline" food proportions would be as follows:

3.8 oz total daily raw food (assuming she wasn't consuming anything other than raw) consisting of:
3.04 oz muscle meat
.38 oz bone
.19 oz liver
.19 oz other secreting organ (kidney, spleen, pancreas, thymus, brain, testicle)

Hope that helps a bit.

Laurie
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Cool Cat

I believe you are supposed to feed the 2-3% of their adult weight (I didn't know that when I first started but that is what I have since been told). So a traditional Siamese female should be about 10 pounds full grown. It's getting late for me so I'm not gonna do math right now, my brain does not work well at night, someone else can if they want and if not I'll do it tomorrow at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Cat Addict

I also had problems knowing how much to feed Muffin and Doran when i started feeding raw. I was surprised by how much they could pack in! my girls get about 1/4 lb every day each (2 meals). The boys were more than willing to eat double that most days. Since they are each now about 12lbs they still eat a lot, but not quite as much as they had been scarfing down.

I used to be really worried about making sure each cat got the right portion...I still feed Torri seperately, just she she'll eat, but the rest of the cats have found a system. I put the food in 2 bowls, then put each of the bowls in a kennel. Muffin and Doran jump in and eat some, then leave. Then Jitzu goes and eat some, then the boys come bck when she's don e.
If any of them were losing/gaining too much weight I'd probably be stricter about it, but as it is everyone seems to be nice and healthy.

I do feed Torri in our room at night, she won't eat if any other cat is nearby, so she wasn't gaining the weight I wanted her to. Now she's maintaining a healthy weight, although how is a mystery, lol. She eats maybe 1/2 of what I think she should eat...Well, she is small.

Bascially feed them way more than you think they need. They'll generally stop eating when they're done.

As for bone content, I still have to be creative for Torri...she rarely eats bone. I dry egg shells, then crush them really small. A few times a week she gets a dinner with really soupy 'sauce' (blood sauce, lol...or sometimes egg) and I mix the shells in. It sticks to the food, and she loves whatever gooey topping I give her, so she eats it.

With any of the cats if I need to give them something they really don't want I grind it up small, mix it with cheese whiz and wipe it on their front paws...lol they can't resist!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Cool Cat

I did the calculations assuming she was a ten pound cat full grown feeding 2% body weight (if you know the size of her mother you might use that instead) and it was very close to what Laurief got using 5% of her current weight (although she did it on a daily basis and i did it on a weekly basis because I don't feed a balanced meal every day).

3.2 ounces of food every day
22.4 ounces of food every week
17.92 ounces of meat every week
2.24 ounces of bone every week
1.12 ounces of liver every week
1.12 ounces of other organ every week

I would split the daily 3.2 ounces into three meals or more.

As far as bones go: I do think ribs are very easy bones but they are not super meaty so that may be why she hesitates to eat them. I don't know how meaty backs are either. To get her started (be prepared you have to get your hands dirty, maybe buy some latex gloves) I would get wings or wingettes and used a knife to cut all the skin off (just until she is used to eating bone, the skin is good for them). Then put the skinless wing in a plastic baggie and smash the wing to pieces, rotating it for full breakage. Then take the wing out and cut it into three or four sections so they seem manageable to her. Hopefully these will be meaty enough for her to try (she'll think she's just eating the meat) and she will not be shocked when she bites in and feels something hard (When Willie first bit into something with bone that I didn't smash it flipped up and hit him in the head and he was all confused). She'll get used to little crunchies in the meat and over time you can do less smashing and maybe cut it in half instead of thirds. I still smash Willie's chicken bones a bit and cut them in half (except ribs). He can do the cornish hen ones (everything from the hen including weird structures I didn't know existed) without smashing, but not chicken it's too big. Don't give up though, I had a hard time with Willie but he's fine now with a bit of help, he likes it for sure.

You mentioned taurine, great sources for that are thighs and hearts (any part of the body that does a lot of work) so do feed lots of that. Just remember heart is considered muscle not organ.

Have you tried her on any organs yet? How does she like those?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you all so much for your replies, they are very helpful. I will try some of those tricks for getting her to eat bone. Right now the majority of what she eats is pork/beef stir fry meat which she loves. She also enjoys a chunk of fish once a week, scales, head, and all. I would assume that the fish bones count toward bone content correct? We have tried chicken liver which she was not very interested in and I have a beef liver in the freezer that I am going to try with her. I need to stop at the butchers though for more variety of organ meat, our grocers don't really carry anything other than liver. We have a Vietnamese grocery too which I will try as well for variety. Thanks again! I will try the crushed up egg shell tonight with her dinner!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adrienne, mom to three non-fur babies, two of the dog variety, and falling in love with China and Dolce!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Cat Addict

Just a note, we've had good luck with chicken wings, the tip and 'elbow' sections are delicate enough that Gracie can munch them pretty easily. I do use a big cleaver to break them into inch-long lengths - not too long so she won't choke, but not so short that she'd be tempted to swallow them without chewing at all....

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page