Recipes, period. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via AIM to CatDrool1324
Recipes, period.

Hello,
I am looking for some homemade food recipes for my cats. I like to make their life as full and delightful as possible, and I think that something homemade and organic will pamper them more.
My oldest cat, Sam, is allergic to fish (I know, ironic, right?) so maybe something sensitive to digestive systems. I know I sound picky and demanding, but I really love my cats and I only wish the best for them. So if anybody has anything to contribute, please reply. Thanks for your appreciation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Banned

Re: Recipes, period.

Fish actually isn't all that good for cats, so your kitty's ahead of the game there.

I don't know any off the top of my head, but I've seen feline raw-food recipes around. I'll try to find some for you. In the meantime, we've got some really knowledgeable folks who will likely chime in soon.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Jr. Cat

Go to catnutrition.org, there is a recipe there that I've been using. Then you are free to use whatever kinds of meats you want. I always buy organic free range eggs, and the meats I use are natural, free range and grass fed and are usually bought at whole foods or in the organic section of the grocery store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Cool Cat

Not a recipe really, more of a meal plan, but the usual meal for Willie is a chunk of chicken/pork/beef with fish oil on it. Once a week there will be a chunk of liver as well, another day there will be a chunk of kidney as well. Three times a week instead of his chunk of meat he'll get chicken ribs/a wing/smashed chicken drumstick. That's about it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Cool Cat

Taurine is found in meat, if you don't grind the meat you feed you are giving a good amount of taurine so I would skip anything that suggests grinding. It is especially abundant in heart and thighs. As far as supplementing (which you don't have to do if you don't grind) you can order them and might be able to get them at some pet stores. the only supplement I use is fish body oil so I don't know anything about gelatin, dulse, etc. I also would not put any veggies in your cat's diet, they are carnivores. That recipe leaves out "other" organs, heart and gizzards are considered muscle meat and you need a secreting organ other than liver (but you do need the liver too). Maybe that's what all those supplements are supposed to make up for, who knows. So I would do something like kidney, spleen or pancreas as well. I hear you can over feed eggs so I would not feed it every day, twice a week or so is good.

And don't let this recipe limit you, don't only feed turkey and chicken, feed beef, rabbit, quail, venison, frogs, mice, exotic meat, anything you can find!

I'm sure some people disagree with me as far as grinding goes but I wouldn't do it, if you are doing this diet for oral health grinding defeats the whole purpose. Also this recipe does not feed whole bones, bones are awesome for teeth and are a natural source of calcium for cats. If I had to make up these recipes people use I'd loose my mind, I don't think I'd do it. Being able to throw down a chicken wing is fine by me. The most work I have to do is cutting up kidney and liver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page