Pig etc? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Pig etc?

more scrounging has produced even more results...

Pig liver and tripe, and chicken guts I can get in bulk very very cheaply. And apparently pig liver is low in fat and the protein content is higher than ox liver.

Now they wont touch their drumsticks ... so would there be enough protein in ox heart for their taurine needs?

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:55 AM
Tom Cat

Re: Pig etc?

The bit of information that every raw feeder would like to get their hands on is the taurine content of food. It seems the only way to come up with that info is by paying for it. From my research there are only a couple of vague sources on the internet. One is http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=910&page=47 and the other bit of info was on a web page no longer in service. But it can be viewed on this site http://web.archive.org/web/200801280605 ... e_chmr.htm . Generally dark meats and hearts will have the highest taurine content. Its hard to say how much heart they should eat. If it were me I might make heart at least 1/4 of the meat portion of the meal. But that may be overkill. Since you are feeding a cocktail of things and they are hunting for other critters there is a good chance that they will be fulfilling their taurine needs. If you don't think so then you might add more heart/dark meat or add a taurine supplement. Hopefully the anti drumstick phase will be over soon.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Chris do you think one can overdo the liver /tripe etc ... the chicken innards I can get will have all the unlaid eggs too.?

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Tom Cat

The two vitamins that you have to be careful about is vitamin A and D. An excess amount of both can cause problems. Liver is high in vitamin A and is a good source of D. Kidneys, if you feed them, have a fair amount of vitamin D and has respectable amount of vitamin A. If you try to stay near the 10% organ guideline, with 5% being liver, you should be no where near the maximum amount of those vitamins. I wouldn't worry too much since those max amounts are rather high and imo it would take many meals of just liver before you start seeing problems.

The only other thing I can think of is the eggs. Egg whites contain avidin (a protein) which binds to the nutrient biotin and prevents it from being absorbed. If a large amount of egg whites are consumed it may lead to a deficiency. Egg yolks are fine but if you are feeding the whole egg I would limit it to just one, maybe two, a week.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Carol, I'd be very careful about feeding pork parts in SA. You really need to know what the pigs have been fed in order to be safe with pork ... or at least freeze all pork products for at least 3 weeks before feeding it. Pigs are omnivores, and in many areas are fed garbage and anything else they can get their mouths on. This can cause diseased meat. In the States, pork can not be USDA certified unless the pigs were fed a specific diet, or rather, were NOT fed certain things like garbage.

Laurie
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks Laurie ....Our pork is quite safe surprisingly enough ...and im not being sarcastic. I can just imagine the millions of people who will strike and cause mayhem if pork made them sick .

Thats what happens here you see ..if spmething upsets the people you strike and cause chaos

2 boxers Miki & Monty
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Premier Cat

Still, it's a very wise precaution to freeze ALL raw meat before feeding.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

How good is tripe I wonder ? ox or pork ?

2 boxers Miki & Monty
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Premier Cat

I personally would stick with ox tripe, but I'm more comfortable feeding my cats herbivores rather than omnivores (esp. the stomach/tripe where consumed meat products would be directly deposited). Green tripe (NOT bleached tripe) is an excellent raw meat source because it is packed with beneficial digestive enzymes.

I wish I could find a steady source of green (herbivore) tripe and hearts.

Laurie
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Im lucky all these "funny" meats I can get in abundance and cheap .. its because its the staple diet of the African population.

Its working out how much of what to give thats tricky and finding out how much nourishment there is in Chicken Tripe as opposed to pork tripe etc .

I can also get giblets cheaply .. and the gang will love that

I cut open a turkey drumstick today to see what it looked like .. I think the turkeys were on Noahs Ark ... I doubt a lion could eat that meat and sinew let alone a cat !!! so im a bit miffed, the dogs like them tho so its not a total waste.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page