Help with diet questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Help with diet questions

Hi
I have a 3 month old kitten and he (Mathias is a little boy) went to the vet. for the first time to day and the only thing that he (the vet.) suggested that I change is to feed him Iambs or several other brands. Iíve been feeding Evo/raw diet (the raw diet is balanced to the best of my ability and being updated as i learn more) the Vets reasoning is that the only thing that I really need to worry about is urinary tract problems. I really don't want to change Mathias to a different diet he is doing so well lots of energy (some times to much) shiny fluffy coat and bight eyes. So dose any one that has experience with a kibble/raw diet have any info on this?

Preventative maintenance
Wizzel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Help with diet questions

Iams is much, much lower quality than what you are feeding so please do not switch. Vets don't know any more about animal nutrition than any other average Joe person because they are not taught much about it and what they do learn is taught by companies like Science Diet, Iams and Eukanuba, most vets never do their own research. Chance are your vet has no idea what EVO is so recommends a food he has heard of and thinks raw is bad because it is bad for people. Don't take a vet's advice on food.

As far as UTI's go, anyone feeding all dry food is risking giving their cats UTI's as the animal is not getting enough water. By feeding half raw (assuming it is actually half, not less) you are reducing this risk. The more raw and less kibble you feed, the less chance of the cat getting a UTI due to chronic dehydration. But whatever you do, don't switch off of the raw! And EVO is probably the best kibble on the market (even though there is no such thing as a good kibble for cats) so if you have to feed kibble feed that.

and good for you for doing your own research and not just blindly listening to what the vet has to say!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you!

I've heard that about vets not knowing much about nutrition!
It is a sad sort of affairs when the "Mom" knows more about diet than the vet but that is the way things go. Especially when diet is the biggest thing that influences health.
What he gets is about half raw and half kibble and the raw is mixed with water to make a thick "soup" so he gets extra water on top of the normal water in the raw. I'm kinda new to the world of cats so I wanted to check to make sure that I know what I thought I knew. Also have you heard any thing about Solid Gold food brand? I just ran across it and the store is a little closer it looks about the same quality but I would like a second opinion.
My family lost our dog a few years back and when he died he was in terrible pain curled into a ball we took him to the vet (different vet) when she checked lets just say it was a bad death. He had the store bought junk food his entire life, that was a graphic portrait of what a bad diet can do and I will not repeat that again as far as it is in my control to do so.
So just to restate the question, to make sure that I get it, a natural balanced diet and there should not be any urinary tract problems? Go figure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Cool Cat

Nutrition is not the ONLY thing that influences UTIs but it is a big one, genetics can also play a role so even a cat on a high quality wet food or raw food diet CAN get them it's just far, far less likely. As far as solid gold goes there is a ig difference between the two cat formulas, the grain free one looks good though. That said EVO does have more protein so I might stick with that if you can.

Do you plan to go all raw at any point?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

No at this point I can't aford to feed an all raw diet also I have my mom take car of him every two weeks or so for a few days and she is not on the band wagon as far as the raw diet is concerned. Most of the time he gets a raw breakfast and dinner and kibble munches in between, Evo just helps me streach the meat a bit. I don't know if i'll ever go completly raw or not.
Thanks for the info on Solid Gold I'll stick with Evo its not like i'm driving up to the food shop every week it just would have been nice to combine a few trips thats all.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Jr. Cat

I've found that feeding raw is quite cheap. Unless you're thinking of the pre made stuff?

Can you try canned with raw instead of kibble? You can add a bit of water to that too.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'd be really interested to know what and how you feed your kittys i'm still learning the finer pionts I'd also like to know how much it costs to feed your crew and how much to feed just one. No I'm making my own "raw" food the premade stuff is waaaay to much $ when I can make my own. I'm still not sure I could get my "pet sitter" to go along with the hole raw diet tho.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:13 AM
Tom Cat

Raw diets are on average $0.50-1.50/day to feed one cat. I feed all 4 of my cats for about $1.55/day. Which works out to about $0.38 a cat.

I know what you mean about the pet sitter. My last pet sitter is now too busy help us out. Even though she lives in the apartment right above us. She made a comment about the last sitting saying it was pretty gross. I am not sure why it was hard to warm the food in the prepackage baggie and dump it into their bowls. Thank goodness the guy next to us doesn't mind at all.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Shesh, why can't people get that cats eat meat (or should eat meat) and that it should be raw? Thanks for the info I had decided to go compeletly raw thanks to a raw forum that some one sent me a link to. I had not realized how cheep it could be. Thank you so much chris10 it dose help alot to have a ball park figure to work off of.
Also I have talked to my Mom and she is now on board the raw band wagon so till I move all should be well! I will make sure to feed the messier stuff before she sitts Mathias for me, just to be safe.

PS: Guys probably have an easyer time with the gross out facter than some girls, I think its kinda funny tho it is the same thing we humans do, more or less, they just eat it on the floor, and its raw of course.

PPS: how do you attach a pic to the post i've tryed twice and both times it has told me "sorry, the board attachment quoto has been reached." what gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page