starting the switch today - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

starting the switch today

I have to go and buy a small sample bag of the food that the breeder had Sabre on because I didnt get to starting the switch over the course of the week. How should I go about switching? Should I just do like one raw meal one day than increase the raw meals? With our dog I just switched without worrying about doing it slowly but Im not sure how that would affect a kitten. Any advice on how I should go about this is greatly appreciated! I am starting with chicken. Ive heard some people say to switch them to wet first, but if I were to do that I would have to wait a while until I saved up enough to actually feed canned, raw meat however I can get for super cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Senior Cat

Re: starting the switch today

It's mainly up to your cat, at least that is what i learned with mikey. I have been giving him raw meat with his canned food for a few months, and today for the first time he actually at it so really, if your cat will accept it then you can switch.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Cool Cat

Do you know if he likes it? I kept my cat on half raw half kibble until I knew he would eat meat, bones (wings, neck, ribs, etc. and I smashed them to start), liver and one other organ (kidney). That way I knew he was still getting everything he needs until I could provide it with the raw diet alone. Since he's a kitten I think he'll probably switch pretty easy so I might just go cold turkey and wouldn't be too worried about him refusing anything but if he does refuse something for a few weeks, say he still hasn't gotten any bone or eggshell after three or four weeks because he can't figure it out yet, I'd probably supplement with a meal of wet food or if you really can't afford it, kibble each day until he does learn how to eat the bones.

To start use pieces cut up small. If he'll eat them then you are in luck and can just start increasing the size of the chunks over the week. If he refuses the small pieces then throw one in with his kibble and if he eats it throw in another and when he eats that throw in the rest and see if he'll keep eating. Since he's a kitten I'm going to guess he'll eat it right off but who knows. So as I said give him bigger chunks everyday. Once he is tackling them no problem give him one big chunk that is his whole meal. If he is doing fine with that for two days you can start introducing smashed wings, necks or ribs. Also feel free to add small amount of organs to the meat chunks (I had to sneak them in by making them very tiny). From there just work on getting him to eat those things and then move on to new meats. The gradual increase in meat size is to build jaw strength, let your cat know how fast he can go, if he has trouble make them smaller. That's how I did it anyway, I'm sure however you do it he'll adjust and learn to eat his new food! You are lucky to get to start with a kitten, my Neko will not TOUCH it (unless mixed in wet food so he eats it by accident) because I didn't try to start with him until he was 4.

Good Luck!! tell us how he likes everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I will try to switch cold turkey tomorrow and if he doesnt take it Ill take it slower. I will probably offer a little bit tonight too. I think if I act like its my food he will eat it regardless, lol! He is always after my plate no matter what Im eating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page