Fish again ... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Fish again ...

Remember how I got started on this RAW feeding??? being flat broke and deciding to feed them fish I can get for nothing until you all kindly sent me in the right direction?

I can still get dorado heads for nothing so would one fishy meal a week be too often???? the reason I ask is that Dorado is rich with fish oil ....

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Fish again ...

Try for maybe once a month, Carol.. I'd personally think more than that is overkill.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks Muzby , when I tell them however ill blame you

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Senior Cat

LOL Carol!

Fine, twice a month.

You know the dogs can have fish more often, though. It's just the cats that shouldn't have it very much.. our dog LOVES fish.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Tom Cat

I feed my cats raw sardines once a week. No problems
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Chris have you ever heard of the annual sardine run we have here ???? well im on the coast and they sometimes beach in the millions ....

The doredo's are a huge game fish that go after the sardines ..

So raw fish is okay ??what about the bones ?? The few times I have given them fish I have cooked it .

2 boxers Miki & Monty
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 03:44 AM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris10
I feed my cats raw sardines once a week. No problems
Are you mean the whole fish, including the fish bones, head, tail, etc.... Can they handle those tiny sharp bones?

I usually feed just salmon, which is not bone, but meat and skin only.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 04:38 AM
Tom Cat

No I haven't heard of the run but I bet its an awesome site to see.

Raw fish is a debated topic just like pork. Some of the common fears of raw fish are that fish contains thiaminase which destroys thiamin (Vitamin B-1). They may contain parasites, especially if you feed the whole fish. They may contain heavy metals and with the fish higher in the food chain containing more. This is more of a problem for cats eating a low moisture diet but fish contains high amounts of the minerals associated with urinary crystals. Vitamin E deficiency because fish is low in E. There may be more but that's all I can think of.

We try to feed a variety of things. IMO the only thing that can't be avoided by feeding a variety are parasites. With one,and possibly two meals, of fish a week IMO there is a small chance that they will develop a problem listed above. With the rest of the week possibly consisting of 13 meals of meat, which contains thiamin, the possibility of a deficiency is reduced. Heavy metals may be hard to get away from but feeding just once a week with fish lower on the food chain should help reduce the chance of becoming a problem. Vitamin E is found in meat, liver, and fat.

To really run in to these problems you would have to feed a lot of fish. But I feel if we limit it to just a small portion of the diet we shouldn't see any of these problems.

The sardines I get are just frozen whole. And my monsters make short work of them. The only ones they don't like too much are large sardines. They won't eat them unless I descale. And then they leave part of the head and tail. With the smaller sardines everything goes down the hatch. Fish Fridays are defiantly smelly days
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Carol, since Doredo is a large predatory fish, mercury is much more of a concern than it is with small fish like sardines and smelt. I don't think I'd risk feeding it more than once or twice a month.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page