lots of beef in my freezer.....QUESTIONS!!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat

lots of beef in my freezer.....QUESTIONS!!!!!

Mr Higgins perpetually has the runs......pending lab results on his poop. but so far, looking like he just may be the sensitive tummy type. Been told i should consider raw food diet for him.

now...........i have a BOAT-LOAD of beef in my freezer. My mother in-law purchased it probably a year ago. the stuff goes slow as she buys the stuff in measuring units of HALF-cow, or QUARTER-cow
anyways she gave us a bunch of misc. stuff. ribs, steaks, fajitas cut, and some other random cuts im not familiar with.

quite honestly, i have been afraid to eat the stuff. i cooked a load of the fajita cut ONE TIME. the meat creeped me out. it was very PURPLE and smelled VERY BLOODY. the smell of it actually made me queezy. I hopped online and read a little, and found info saying that purple is not BAD its just bloodier and also not prepped the same way a grocery store preps meat (to keep it red). i made burritos with this meat, and i didnt get sick, so im assumeing that is not spoiled......

but anyways, do people really feed raw beef to cats? i thought there was serious risk of ecoli and other such micro-crawlies!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Senior Cat

Re: lots of beef in my freezer.....QUESTIONS!!!!!

I feed beef and my cats are fine with it. however if you start feeding all raw, you need to feed other meats as well. i wish i could get my own chest freezer and get 1/4 a beef cow...before our dairy quit if anyone of the families needed meat it wasn't so hard to get

for cats when feeding raw they get 80% muscle meat, 10% (some say cats should have less) of bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Yes, we really do feed raw beef to our cats. I must admit that beef isn't my cats' favorite meat (that would be venison, followed by pork), but they will certainly eat raw beef when I have it. I don't generally feed a lot of beef muscle meat because it's so expensive, but I do feed a lot of beef organs which I get for free from a local butcher.

Go ahead and feed your beef. Lucky cats!

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Cat

cool thanks!

no one thinks anything odd of the purpleness of the meat i have? i would just die if i gave it to him and he got sick.

there is TONS of beef in my freezer, but like i said, the purpleness and the unusually bloody smell creeped me out...so i probably wont eat it

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Cool Cat

You are probably right that the purple color is just a lot of blood, that would be nothing to worry about. Just make sure whatever you give is not covered in any sort of marinade or anything. The ribs are gonna be too large for a cat (better for a dog), the maximum sized bones for cat are like chicken drumsticks, some cats even have trouble with those.

Your cat is a kitten right? If so he'll probably take to the meat quickly Cut it into small pieces (small enough that he can chew and swallow the whole piece) because he might not know how to gnaw chewable piece off of a large chunk.

Some cats are sensitive to beef, so if he eats it and regurgitates a little bit later don't be alarmed just clean it up. Whether or not you try again is up to you. Some cats just will not tolerate beef.
Right now I assume you are just seeing if he will eat the meat. If you do decide to go raw you will have to introduce other meats, then bones (chicken bones, quail bones, cornish hen bones, some rabbit bones) and organs, liver is required and so is one other organ (I use kidney because that is what I can find). Heart does not count as an organ in raw feeding.
basically you'd feed meat everyday except on the days you feed bone meals. Feed bone meals two or three times a week. Feed a nickel sized piece of liver with one meat meal each week, feed one nickel sized piece of kidney (or whatever other organ you use) once a week with a meat meal. Feed fish body oil too, I do one capsule a day.

but for now concentrate on seeing if he'll even eat the meat, once you get past that you can work on the other aspects of the diet. Of course you'll need to continue feeding his regular commercial diet too until he is eating meat, bones and organs so that you will know he's getting all the nutrients he needs.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

When you start your kitten on raw, make sure you cut the pieces small. Canned and kibble fed cats aren't accustomed to chewing their food and need to build up their muscle jaws.

I have an eleven-month-old kitten who can break a chicken leg-quarter down. I didn't give it to her, she stole it off the counter when I left the room for two measly seconds. *chuckle*

I have another cat, adult, who tried to cut corners when I first transitioned them to raw. She would gulp the beef as soon as she could squeeze it down her throat, then bring it back up half an hour later. I had to cut her meals into smaller pieces than the others.

Now, of course, I can give her a two-ounce chunk of meat and she's good to go.

Good luck and remember, if you go all-raw, you'll need considerably more than just the meat you currently have!

A.C.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

I'm feeding more than a dozen of my cats raw meat/bones/organs. I made a mistake when I transitioned them, though, and cut their meat up for them for too long. They became so spoiled that now they often refuse to eat anything larger than they can swallow whole. It's annoying!

Then a neighbor found two tiny kittens abandoned on my road and left them there all alone but did call me to tell me about them. Of course I had to go rescue them and bring them home. The GoBoys (Gomer and Goober) are now 7-8 weeks old, and I just gave them their first taste of raw meat a couple of days ago. Not wanting to make the same mistake I made with the big cats, I gave the babies each a rather large piece of beef bronchial tube to chew on. This is almost as tough as leather, so I knew they'd have to chew hard to get bite sized pieces. They tore into those pieces like nobody's business! The larger of the brothers finished his piece after a few minutes, but the smaller brother gave up about halfway through. The next day I gave them each small mouse-sized pieces of venison, which they both managed to chow down after 5-10 mins of working on them. Yesterday I gave them adult mouse sized chunks of boneless chicken breast, and they ate them with no problem, but they got full halfway through and finished them up at the next meal. I also gave them good sized chunks of venison last night which they gobbled down like pros! So even very young kittens can handle large chunks of meat quite effectively. It just takes a while for them to gnaw them down to size.

Don't "baby" your babies with tiny meat pieces or you may end up cutting their meat for them for life! Let your babies gnaw and shred and chew big meat chunks. They can do it!

Laurie
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

Hmmm, how about we let the kitties choose what they need? We all know there is no "one size fits all".

If the pieces are large and your cat takes a long time to chew them down, gives up before she is full, or throws the food up later, then cut the meat down a bit and periodically increase the chunk sizes to see if she is now strong enough / experienced enough to handle the larger sizes.

If the pieces are large and the cat has no trouble chowing down, well, then you're good to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page