Omega 3 and fish oils - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Omega 3 and fish oils

After reading all the info on here and in the links, I have decided to switch to raw feeding. I am choosing to go with the chopped up (as opposed to ground) method, using the 80%/10%/5%/5% breakdown and providing a variety of different meat/organs (there's a vietnamese store nearby that has an abundance of different organs, quail, pigeon, and such). However, I am still unsure about a couple of things:

1. I've seen some people say that Omega 3 and fish oils are necessary and should be part of a regular diet (as in "pour a capsule of fish oil over the food on a regular basis"). Is this true? If it is necessary, how often should it be given, how much of it, and exactly what kind?

2. Some sources say you should definitely include fish. Not often, but the impression I got is about once a week. Is this true? If so, what kind is best? Some say you should feed smaller fish that the cat can eat whole, together with the bones, and some say feed pieces of big fish without bones. Opinions please.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Omega 3 and fish oils

You are lucky that you'll be able to feed quail and pigeon, I can't find any interesting stuff around here. I'm glad you've decided on raw, it's an awesome diet and I'm sure your cat(s) will thank you by being healthy and lively for a long time!

Quote:
1. I've seen some people say that Omega 3 and fish oils are necessary and should be part of a regular diet (as in "pour a capsule of fish oil over the food on a regular basis"). Is this true? If it is necessary, how often should it be given, how much of it, and exactly what kind?
Unless you are getting your meats from a source that has grass fed animals you will need to supplement with fish oil (or fish as I'll get to in the next question). I have still never gotten a clear answer on how much and how often. Right now Willie is getting one capsule (which I cut open and squirt on the meat) of fish oil a day, whether or not that's enough I don't know but it's about what others I talk to are using. As far as what kind it doesn't matter too much, make sure it is simply fish (or salmon, sardine, whatever) oil and not cod liver oil. I suppose you'd want to avoid any products that say they add other stuff to their oil though.
Quote:

2. Some sources say you should definitely include fish. Not often, but the impression I got is about once a week. Is this true? If so, what kind is best? Some say you should feed smaller fish that the cat can eat whole, together with the bones, and some say feed pieces of big fish without bones. Opinions please.
Fish is somewhat debated. There are possible issues associated with fish like heavy metal poisoning and I *believe* something in the fish can contribute to FLUTD or another urinary disease (I could be wrong). If you are using the fish body oil you do not NEED to feed fish. If you do choose to feed fish once a week is about right but stay away from large predatory fish like salmon and tuna, these are the fish with the most heavy metals. Stick to small fish like sardines and some smelts. You may feed these whole. I do not feed fish.

Have you begun introducing your cats to meat? Tell us how they do!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the help! That sounds very acceptable to me. I think I'll go the fish oil way and just feed an occasional little fishie as a treat. Are the bones in the fish a danger? Or they are able to deal with them fine? They're so small and pokey...

Yeah, I've been wanting to do this for a while, but didn't know enough about it. I thought you pretty much had to grind up the stuff and use supplements. When I hear supplements, I freak out and obsess that I'll definitely miss something. So, I've been holding off. After I looked into it more and realized I could do this "frankenprey" method, I was totally set on going raw. For me, the bottom line is no one can prepare the food for my kitty with more care and thought than myself. Even if the companies tried very hard to make the food good, it still goes through too much processing (in my opinion).

I have no idea whether Zaya (she's my only cat) will like this though. She's not really a picky eater, she loves any kind of wet food and some of human food (that she gets only a tiny bit of as a treat), but she's really cautious about new things. So far, I've gotten her to eat a small piece of chicken (with A LOT of convincing from me - "Zaya, look, it's tasty! Yum, yum. Mmmmm.. Yummy chicky" as I was sitting with her on the floor, sticking the chicken in her face and pretending that I was gonna eat it), and an egg. She also ate a few tiny bits of fish from my sashimi bowl. She seemed to like that, but I'm staying away from predator fish now. I got her to eat a tiny piece of beef too. But, again, with A LOT of convincing. That, I just batted around on the floor and pretended to eat it. She acted like she didn't care, but ended up eating it, very cautiously, after I walked away. So, I don't think this will be too hard, it will just take some time. I'm not even thinking about bones yet though. I plan to feed her some of her canned food to make up for the bones. I'll give the bones a try, but just knowing her, she'll probably be too confused by them - "This is food? Who are you trying to trick??"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

I buy the least expensive fish body oil gelcaps that I can find. When I feed the cats, I puncture a gelcap and squeeze 3-4 drops of fish oil over each cat's food once daily. I don't know if that's too much or not enough, but it's what seems reasonable to me. As the other poster warned, do NOT use fish liver oil (cod liver oil). Use fish body oil only.

I don't feed fish, either, but if I did, I don't think I'd do so more than once a month. There's the heavy metal issue, and then there's something in fish that inhibits the absorbtion of some other essential nutrient, and then there's the association of fish eating with urinary and/or thyroid problems, and then there's the possibility that your cat could become so addicted to fish that she refuses to eat other meat sources. All in all, fish just seems too potentially problematic to me. If you do choose to feed fish, though, make sure it is offered raw. Cooked bones become brittle and can cause internal damage. Raw bones are softer and more digestible and pose little risk of puncture.

Aside from fish body oil, the only other supplement I provide is taurine. Since taurine is so critical to the feline diet, I don't want to take a chance that the raw meat/bones/organs I'm feeding could be deficient in that particular amino acid. Chances are that the raw diet is providing enough taurine on its own, but I'm just more comfortable covering that base with a little supplemental sprinkle of taurine on their meat.

There are lots of tips and tricks you can use to convince your girl to try raw meat. You'll no doubt find that she has preferences and that those preferences may change a bit over time. My cats all LOVE the little liver piece they get each day, but I've read that other folks can't convince their cats to touch liver. My cats will also eat every other organ they've been offered (kidney, spleen, testicle, lung). They tend to be pickier about the muscle meats. A couple of my cats are rather finicky and may refuse one type of muscle meat or another depending on their moods du jour.

Variety is the key, both in terms of providing well balanced nutrition and in broadening your cat's palate so that she's willing to accept whatever you put on her plate.

Good luck!

Laurie
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Cool Cat

If you can get him to eat bits of meat you are WELL ahead of my Neko lol, I don't think you'll have too much of a problem based on what you've described. I could be wrong of course but he sounds similar to the way my Willie was. He really liked cooked chicken so I fed him a meal of that, next meal I mixed in small chunks of raw which he ate and after that one small piece of cooked chicken to show him it was meal time and he'd eat the rest of the meal raw. He basically needed to know the raw stuff was FOOD and then he was fine.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Banned

Congrats on coming over to the wild-side, wEngelw!

I don't feed fish, but I do drizzle salmon oil capsules over their food a couple of times a week (one 1000mg capsule per cat).

A trick I've learned to encourage a reluctant cat to chow down is sprinkling Whole Life freeze-dried 100% meat treats over the food. I have five cats and it has never failed to help the cat beat it's uncertainty.

Congrats again. Once you get your kitty on raw, you'll never look back.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Well, actually, she doesn't seem to like cooked chicken. I gave her a little piece yesterday and she sniffed it and walked away. I think I'll probably have to use her wet food to be the "filler" until she is fine with all raw. But, yeah, like your Willie, I think she just needs to figure out that it's food, and then she'll eat it no problem.

Auntie Crazy, I'll definitely keep the trick in mind if I'm having trouble convincing her. Thanks for the tip!

laurief, Is there ever a worry about them getting too much taurine? I am also paranoid about shorting her on something essential, but I'm just as paranoid about overdosing her on something. I've read other people post about the danger of too much vitamins A and D (I think?). Is taurine also something that may have a negative effect if there's too much?

Thanks everyone for all the info and support
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Banned

Taurine is water-soluble, so you can't overdose it.

Are you planning to feed her a raw diet, or a cooked diet? Cooking destroys many of the nutrients that make raw so beneficial. Some folks do put their cats on a cooked-food diet, but they have to supplement extensively to cover for the missing nutrients.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Cool Cat

Auntie, her mention of cooking was because I said that when i started transitioning Willie I started with cooked chicken because he liked it and recognized it as food. The OP is planning to do raw.

But yes as auntie said any taurine the cat does not need will dissolve and be peed out. Vitamin A (don't know about D but sure why not) can be overdosed. It is found in organs, liver has a lot of vitamin A. That is why liver and other organs only amount to about 10% of the diet. But don't worry, you'd REALLY have to feed a lot to OD the cat, as long as you just feed a small chunk once or twice a week you're safe.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Banned

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks, Siam!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page