how much to feed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via MSN to brenree
how much to feed

Perhaps I am slightly dumb but I am trying to get an exact idea of how much i should be feeding two cats on a raw diet. We are new to this and currently they are getting mostly raw meats etc but I am still leaving kibble out for snacks for fear that I may not be feeding enough.
I saw in another post that I am to take the combine weight of my cats (17 lbs) and multiply that by 2,3, or 4%. I have really active cats so I go with the 4% which gives me 0.68
then it says to divide that by the number of meals per day which is 2 and gives me 0.34
Now the part I am having a hard time with is grasping that the combined feeding amount between both cats is 0.34 ounces per meal?? Thats literally nothing....am i missing something here or is that really all they need?

Rest your head close to my heart, never to part, baby of mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Senior Cat

Re: how much to feed

Math and me = enemies. LOL But maybe it means 3.4 oz? Sounds like almost 7oz over a day, and IMO that is a LOT of darn food for one cat.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

First of all, I wouldn't combine their weights. Figure each cat's meal portions separately to make sure each cat is receiving an adequate amount of food in the right proportions. Let's say one of your cats is 8 lbs and the other is 9 lbs, and let's start with 3% of their body weight daily. The 8 pounder should be getting .24 lb (3.84 oz) daily. The 9 pounder should be getting .27 lb (4.32 oz) daily. If you're feeding twice daily, that means that your 8 pounder will be getting 1.92 oz per meal, and the 9 pounder 2.16 oz per meal.

If you're going to be feeding according to the Raw Prey Model, 80% of that total will be muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ.

Does that help?

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via MSN to brenree

Thank you! that makes so much more sense. What I read indicated ounces for measuring and .34 ounces is nothing but .34 pounds is a different story and a lot easier to swallow.

thanks again

Rest your head close to my heart, never to part, baby of mine
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

.34 lb = 5.44 oz.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Cool Cat

I would do their weights separately unless they are the same weight. Each cat should not be getting the same amount if they are different weights. If you'd like post their weights here and I'll figure out what each cat gets of each element of the diet.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenree
...I saw in another post that I am to take the combine weight of my cats (17 lbs) and multiply that by 2,3, or 4%....
Hi, Brenree!

If this suggestion is from the Natural Diet Resources thread, it actually refers to the total amount to prepare for each meal, not how much to feed each cat.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page