raw food feeding - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

raw food feeding

so I have two cats one will eat anything the other one has a sensitive stomach and cant seem to keep anything except chicken and turkey down.

one is two years old(9 pounds) the other three years old(10 pounds). both in good health.indoor only.

I also quit feeding raw liver and raw organs because the second cat couldnt keep it down most of the time.

so both cats get either chicken or turkey (usually the small whole chickens) as a meat source. I use to suplement with a cal source but since changing to small whole chickens i dont add it anymore.

And powdered liver.
along with salmon oil, cranberry powder, taurine, a few vitamins (cant remember what they are called as i am not home at the moment, I just remember one of the powers are white the other is orange and stinks. they also get a priobiotic and enzymes.
when i get home (a few days i will state what the vitamins are.)
until then what other vit. suplements do i need to add to make a complete diet.

When someone else cares for them (when gone) they are fed wet can food i think evo chicken turkey they always seem hungry.

another question i have is, the cat that is sensitive, she has a very strong urine oder when she uses the liter box. if i dont clean it out once a day she will not use it because it is so potent the other cat doesnt have much of a smell at all. i thought the raw diet would help with that problem. is there anything i can do to help he?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Tom Cat

Re: raw food feeding

what protein source were you feeding liver from? Also were you feeding at room temperature? It could be that the protein source wasn't agreeing. My cats refused chicken liver but love beef liver. Also how much were you feeding at a time?

I only feed muscle meat, bone and organs, and some salmon oil no other supplements--I'm not sure anyone else here gives other supplements either.

I would be concerned about the urine, its seem like perhaps its highly concentrated which is what makes it smells so much--could be a health issue worth talking to the vet about. My cats on raw have little to no smell to their urine.

Leslie
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 03:08 AM
Tom Cat

As Jack&Harley said meat, bones, organs (mainly hearts, livers), salmon oil, and fat has everything a cat needs. I am speculating that the orange powder is a b vitamin complex. I remember when I started out and added a b complex. It was orange and didn't smell that great.

You have the meat taken care of but you are missing the bone/calcium source. You can either grind bones, feed whole necks or wings, or add a human grade bone meal to the diet. It seems you may have the minimum organs or equivalent taken care of. Taurine in place of heart and powder liver for raw liver. From a quick search I am not sure if powdered liver contains vitamin D. I would imagine that it does since raw contains D. But none of the nutritional facts on powder liver I found listed any D source. I would check on that. Lastly you have the salmon oil which adds the omega 3's.

If your not familiar with ratios of everything (especially powdered supplements) then check out these sites www.catnutrition.org www.catinfo.org . Some of us feed whats called a prey model diet. Its comprised of 80% meat, 10% bones, 5% secreting organs, and 5% liver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

well im feeding a whole chicken, with salmon oil, taurine, dried liver,kidney etc in it. and the vitamin, and enzymes,priobiotics.
i dont feed cal anymore because im feeding whole chicken. so do i need the vitamin?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Tom Cat

Sorry. I may have misunderstood your original post. If you are feeding a whole chicken, including the bones, then along with everything else you have listed. Your kitty should be receiving everything he needs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

ok this is what i feed

Taurine supplement, Pet G.O., B-50, E-400,total biotics, total-zymes, cranberrie power, salmon oil.

I feed mainly whole cornish chicken, the two cats go thru a chicken one every two days.
they dont get any liver or anything else as the one cat gets sick after eating it.

once a week i started giving them evo can food without any potatoes/rice

occasionally they will get ground turkey, or just turkey breast

could you help me out on the amounts to feed as i have just been using a small sprinkle with everything except the pet Go.O which is a 1/4 tsp. and the totals are 1/4-1/2 scoop.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page