Raw Diet for Macy? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Raw Diet for Macy?

This came up in another thread about Macy's food allergies. Mom and I have been discussing the raw diet but I have no idea where to start. Thoughts?

~Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Raw Diet for Macy?

Any idea what she's allergic to? What foods has she been on so far that caused he allergy problems?

Raw would probably help to control things anyway, you know exactly what is going in so no guessing around what might be causing the reaction. If you feed chicken and she reacts then no more chicken, etc. Plus there is a whole lot less stuff going in, not a bunch of different meats, grains, veggies and fruit with each meal. Just meat and when you put a new meat in you are easily able to tell whether or not that is the meat that caused the reaction.

ANYway. First step would be getting her to eat meat, any meat, but start with just one source. I usually start with chicken, if you think that perhaps chicken is her allergen then try something else, rabbit or lamb might be good. Use plain meat, cut off skin if there is any, no bones. Cut the meat into small (dime sized) chunks for experimenting. offer her one chunk and see if she recognizes it as food, perhaps toss it around to see if she'll chase or grab it and eat it. If not then work on mixing it in with her food. If she gets kibble then put maybe two chunks in with 10 pieces of kibble, see if in her eating frenzy she gulps the meat down. When she eats one add another. If you ever see her directly sniff the meat and then eat it that's a strong sign she is okay with it as food. Add more pieces of meat with the kibble until she eats it all. If it's wet food then mix a good amount of meat in and see how she responds to it. If she is hesitant add more wet so that the meat is less noticeable.

Now if she decides to be difficult you'll need to be sneaky. We'll cross that bridge when you get there.

Once you can get him to eat the small chunks of meat by themselves you can slowly work up to larger chunks over time. Your goal is mouse sized chunks at least. Once he can eat those (which means he knows how to chew) start introducing organs (liver and something else like kidney, heart counts as muscle NOT organ) and bone. Good starting bones are chicken ribs or smashed up chicken necks. If he has trouble smash them and cut the meaty bone into sections that he can handle.

but for starters get him to eat small chunks. It can be easy or hard, that's up to the cat
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

No we don't have a clue as to what she's allergic to. She was only on ONE type of food that actually worked on her and that was the Green Pea & Venison from Natural Balance (Dry Formula) Worked soooo well. They quit making it. So we switched to the canned version. Sores everywhere again. And we can't get rid of them. We have tried so many different things so we have her on EVO (I think that's it) right now but Im seriously putting thought into going raw with her.

I can get meat from my brother/nephew when they go deer hunting. I can also use goat meat to cuz I'll have atleast one wether for butchering next year... And we can get chicken.

I would like all the info about the raw diet. Do I have to add any vitamins or anything like that? Anything else I have to use besides some type of meat(s)?

Thankyou!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Cool Cat

As long as you re feeding whole meat, bone, liver and one other organ you are good for vitamins. until she has made the full transition continue feeding some commercial food. The only thing you have to add is fish oil for omega 3's. Once she is comfortable with the diet you can leave skin and fat on the meat. Variety is important, use many different types of meat, venison and goat are both good, although for you you'll need to wait some time after adding a new meat to try another new meat so you can be sure there will be no reaction. Since you know hunters I wanted to suggest that you do not feed bear meat. Bears eat garbage which leads to trichinosis. Make sure to feed some thigh and/or some heart, both have a lot of taurine. Freeze all meat before using it and defrost in the fridge (put Monday's dinner in the fridge Sunday night- takes about 24 hours to defrost in fridge).

Meat should be about 80% of the diet. Bones about 10%. Liver around 5% and other organ around 5%. You don't have to be anal about amount, be close and adjust to your cat's needs. These percentages should occur over a week's time because you do not have to feed organ and bone every day but in the course of a week the total meat, bones and organs should fall around those percentages. Your meals should be 2-4% of your cat's weight. If you needs help figuring that amount out just tell me how much your cat weighs.

Read around the sub-forum for more info.

some info: http://www.rawfedcats.org/
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thank you so much for the information!!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Got another question, must all of the food be raw or can some be cooked?
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Senior Cat

I feed all meat raw, I never cook it for them.

I do however cook egg whites as well as eggshells for eggshell powder (for cats that don't eat bone).
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteghost
Got another question, must all of the food be raw or can some be cooked?

That's up to you.

Most of the time raw feeders like to feed just raw. Mainly because retains most of its nutrients. Cooking usually damages some nutrients, one of the reasons why commercial products have to add a multivitamin at the end to make sure it meets the requirements. If half of the diet is cooked, you may want to look into adding a tiny bit of a cat multivitamin supplement to the food.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks for the replies!
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Tom Cat

Good luck. Preparing raw can really be simple. The first time I tried it I made it too hard for myself. This time I have made it easier for me--some may find it overboard but its easier and makes daily life more simple.

I feed a balanced meal a day--minus the bone, they only get bone 3 days a week, but those meals are completely balanced as well. I started out just trying to balance in a two week time period but quickly realized my hectic lifestyle was doing them a disservice and I wasn't going to put them in jeopardy. Now I just pre package all their meals complete--with all their organs for a day and I feel better knowing they are getting what they need.

You just have to find out what works for you and your cats.

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page