Meat/Bone Grinder - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Meat/Bone Grinder

For those who feed their raw ground up, what sort of meat/bone grinder do you use? I was thinking of getting one from cabelas, one with a hand crank (cheaper, and only I burn out, not a motor). I would love to get Darius on an all raw diet, since he has shown he likes the taste of raw. It'd be easy to weigh out bones, meat, and organs to the correct percentages, and toss it all in a grinder and freeze portions for future feedings. He wasn't so keen on meaty bones yet (tried him with turkey necks a few different times and a few rabbit legs), but hopefully he'll eventually take to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Meat/Bone Grinder

When we were considering a ground diet for transition we were going to be Cabela's. They are magnificent grinders!

Luckily for us, we found a lady who grinds and sells for fairly cheap near us so we didn't have to go that route, but I would say those products would be a good investment.

And once he's one whole pieces of stuff you can always use it to make hamburger/sausage/etc! YAY!

*Edit: If he is eating just the ground stuff without mixing it with canned, make sure you suppliment w/taurine until he's eating whole chunks.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

A few days a week I am giving him a bravo balance chicken formula raw meat patty (4oz) for dinner instead of his normal canned California Natural. He licks the plate clean.

How does grinding affect the taurine levels, anyway? I wouldn't expect the mechanical action of the grinder to denature it since it isn't heating the meat, just shearing it into smaller pieces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Senior Cat

No idea how it does it (my brain does not work that way LOL) but there was a study done with cats being fed rabbits.. whole rabbits, actually. The cats who were getting them ground (organs/fur/bone/meat) eventually all had taurine deficiencies and had to be given taurine supps to get their hearts back in good order. Then they were fine. *shrugs* I took this as a pretty good sign that grinding does get rid of substantial amounts of taurine.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Do you know if there a link to the article on the internet? I'd love to be able to read it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Senior Cat

http://www.felineinstincts.com/orderNow ... abbit.html

Best I could find, sure they don't say that grinding the meat is the cause of the less taurine there - but the only difference between a whole rabbit and ground rabbit is.. well.. the grinding! LOL My cats eat rabbit ALL the time, with no problems. It's always whole pieces, not ground.

Kelly

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Quote:
the only difference between a whole rabbit and ground rabbit is.. well.. the grinding!
That isn't necessarily true. According to the link you provided, there are a number of variables that can affect taurine availability in meat:

"the amount of Taurine available to the cat in a diet depends on a number of factors, such as the amount of protein, the quality of the protein, whether the diet is cooked or raw, and what other ingredients are present in the diet that might increase the amount of Taurine needed (Backus et al., 1998) (Park et al, 1999). It is also possible that bacteria in the carcass of the ground rabbits or in the intestine of the cats broke down some of the Taurine. ... Vitamin E levels in our raw rabbit diet were low and this can cause the meat to lose Taurine as it is processed and ground (Lambert et al., 2001)."

I suspect that freezing would also affect taurine content of meat, and the ground rabbit referenced in that article was frozen and thawed.

Laurie
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Cat

A lot of people probably feed frozen thawed meat, unless people buy what they need every few days. I'll probably be feeding batches that are frozen and thawed out.

That article was definitely an interesting read. I wonder if it was indeed being ground that contributed to the deficiency, or the other factors Laurie quoted from the article. It would have been great if there had been a group being fed ground whole rabbit, and another group being fed frankenprey, which would clear up whether ground meat does affect taurine levels or not.

From what I learned in biochemistry in college, proteins are denatured when they are exposed to heat, chemicals (strong acid or base, for example), inorganic salts, and some solvents. Heat obviously destroys taurine levels in meat, as cooked meat has much less of it then raw. I did just pull up an article that seems to suggest that when meat is ground, more of the surface area of the meat is exposed to bacteria, which breaks down the taurine. So it isn't the mechanical action of grinding that is the problem. I would think that fresh ground meat, which hasn't had a chance to be exposed to much bacterial action, wouldn't be deficient in taurine. But alas, I am no scientist and can't do a controlled study! I do hope to only start out ground and get Darius more comfortable with frankenprey anyway.

http://rawdiettruth.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... diets.html

Definitely a fascinating subject to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page