Supply issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Supply issues

I don't know if it's just the area I'm in, if I'm not looking hard enough, or if I'm missing something, but I'm having a hard time finding organs. I can get liver easy, but anything else I have to really search. I found hearts, but the don't count, same with gizzards. I can bought kidneys, but I'm running out and having a hard time finding more.

So...this has me thinking. If I fed the cats a mouse a week would that makeup for the other organ???

I'm sure I could get mice, that's not the problem. The problem is I'm not sure I could feed them mice...ew!

I have looked and looked, but there are very few places I can buy meat for my cats. I'm having very poor luck with farmers/hunters, and have ended up feeding mostly from the supermarket. It's still cheaper than feeding canned or kibble was, but I would like to be able to lower the cost more. And find more variety.

I have gotten lucky a few times and found bison burgers, but mostly the cats are eating chicken and beef. Occasional pork, and very occasional whole ground rabbit (but that was hugely expensive...and they aren't nuts about it ground).

I have called all the local butchers, and the either don't get other organs, or aren't interested in parting from them. Same deal with scraps and things.

I only know one hunter, and him not very well...so game meats are getting tougher to find.

I suppose I'm just frustrated, and wishing there was a raw group in my area to help things along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: Supply issues

If you have a hunter's association or gun club nearby, contact them and see if you can place an ad in their newsletter offering to buy gut piles from large game like deer, elk, and moose. You can also put ads in your local newspapers, Craig's List, and Freecycle group for the same thing.

During hunting season, I keep heavy contractor garbage bags in my car. Since I live in the edge of a national forest, I almost always have hunters parked along my road. Anytime I see one, I pull over, put on my best smile, and ask the hunter to pppllleeeaaassseee save me his gut pile if it's not too much trouble. Then I hand him a garbage bag and ask him to put the gut pile in the bag and leave it by the side of the road for me. This works for me because I am the only person who lives on my township road, so no one but me and the hunters typically drive down here. All I have to do is drive down the road every day and pick up any bags I see. This same tactic could be altered to work in other circumstances, though, esp. if you offer to pay a little for the gut piles, in which case the hunter may allow you to pick up the gut piles at his home or even bring them to you if he's hunting nearby.

As far as butchers are concerned, same thing. Offer to buy the organs that humans don't typically use - kidneys, spleen, testicles, lungs - and pick them up promptly when available. Butchers don't like this stuff taking up room in their freezers. If you're having difficulty finding cooperative butchers, call the larger farmers around your area and ask them who does their butchering. That'll give you the names of the busiest butchers who are most likely to have discard organs they'd be willing to part with.

If you're imaginative and persistent, I bet you'll be able to find those organ sources, and this is the best time of year to do it. Fall is both butchering and hunting season.

Good luck!

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page