Questions about feeding mice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Questions about feeding mice

I think I know the answer to this question but thought I should ask to be sure...

With fall rolling in, mice are starting to take cover in our basement and my cats are just loving these new "toys". However, is it UNSAFE for them to kill and eat these mice since I don't what the mice have eaten all their lives?

I don't even know if they'd actually eat them or just kill them from playing with them, but couldn't my cats get fleas from these mice and/or could they also get worms from ingesting a flea if the mice has fleas?

If we've discovered they've captured a mouse and are playing with it, we take it from them and dispose of it but I want to know what is the right thing to do?

Also, for those of you feeding frozen mice, do you just give the mouse to your cats? Do you give it frozen? Thawed? Warmed up?

What do you feed it in/on? Do you cut it up? Give it whole? Put it on a dish?

I read to start with pinkies, so if I decide to try it, I'll start there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wife to 1, mom to 7 human children, 2 dogs & 6 indoor cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Questions about feeding mice

The only questions I can answer is 'yes' your cats could potentially get parasites (internal~worms, external~fleas) from eating fresh field mice. Treating with a spot-on product and regular de-worming should keep things under control during your "mouse-season".

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Re: Questions about feeding mice

Thank you Heidi! I appreciate your reply.

I've been continuing my research and talked to my vet about this and wanted to update this in case someone else had the same questions/concerns.

My vet pretty much said the same as what Heidi has already said--if I felt like there was a huge concern regarding the "flea" thing.

She agreed that I should NOT allow them to "consume" any caught mice from our basement (if possible) since we could never know what they have eaten, of course fearing possible ingestion of any poison or an unhealthy diet.

Now, about feeding frozen mice--I have tried it with a few pinkies and fuzzies. A few of my cats partook and ate them, a few did not.

I did thaw the mice before offering them to my cats. I put them in a plastic bag and let them float in hot water for about 30 minutes.

I just bought some adult mice and I offered a few, but only a couple of the cats participated, so I'm not sure if the adult size was "too much" compared to the pinkie/fuzzie size. I'll try it again in a few days.

Wife to 1, mom to 7 human children, 2 dogs & 6 indoor cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page