Fed My Cats Frozen Mice! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Fed My Cats Frozen Mice!

Wow, I did it and am still shocked at myself!

I've been diligently reading the forums here, a little bit every day. My cats have already been gradually eating canned food more & more each day for the past 3-4 weeks or so.

I learned (from reading here) that to begin feeding raw prey, that I should begin with some "pinkies" or "fuzzies".

So I called around to several different pet stores in my area and found the best price on frozen mice. I ended up bringing home 3 pinkies and 3 fuzzies to start with. I thought they were a good price at 99 cents each, and the best part was the store is only 6 miles from my home.

I brought them home and put the bag of them into hot water to defrost/thaw. As they were in the water, I opened the bag to peak the cats' interests. Oh, they were definitely interested!

Well, they were all interested, but few partook in playing and then eventually eating them.

One cat (Crackers) ate 3! He stole one from another cat and ended up eating all 3!!! I could not believe how QUICKLY he ate them! I expected there to be chewing and crunching, but there really wasn't!

Nudge ate one, I can't remember if it was a pinkie or a fuzzie.

Calley ate one, again I can't remember which it was, but it was one of them.

Scamp FINALLY ate a fuzzie. I say finally because he would play with it, then drop it and begin to walk away from it. With all the other cats standing by eager to "steal" it, I kept picking it up and bringing it back to Scamp.

I was surprised the mouse was so frail because part of it's tail and it's foot came off! I've never handled a mouse before in this way, though, so maybe that is normal.

I remembered reading on here that some folks might cut open the mice to reveal the goodies inside. Well, my husband would have rung my neck if I did that (everyone else in my home is protesting this frozen mice thing). I shocked myself because I just sort of, um, pulled at the mouse's skin until it tore a bit and then I squeezed lightly until some of the guts came out (sorry for the details). Well, that was enough to entice Scamp, LOL!

He dove right in and before I knew it, the WHOLE thing was gone--SUCCESS!

Now, I don't intend to always buy the small pinkies & fuzzies, but I'd like to try to incorporate this into their diets as we work toward "adult mice". It'll ultimately depend on finances.

Surprisingly enough, this was an interesting experience!

Wife to 1, mom to 7 human children, 2 dogs & 6 indoor cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Senior Cat

Re: Fed My Cats Frozen Mice!

Congrats!

We are working from pinkies right now (all cats are raw 100% just starting whole prey now) and plan to make sure everyone is eating them well before we move to fuzzies.

.99 each isn't such a hot price, although for a petstore it's not so bad. I get my pinkies @ .40 each/100 (cheaper if I buy more). Search around online and on Craigslist/Kijiji for places near you who are smalltime they generally have way better prices.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Banned

Honestly, most adult cats should be able to transition to adult mice w/ in a few days -- 2 weeks at most. My 2, who were already eating frankenprey well, went straight to adults. I figured I'd give it a try and if it didn't work, get some smaller ones. Calvin (age 6) licked it for a while and then went RIGHT to it. Lincoln (age 11) played w/ his for 30 min -- it was ridiculous. He's never done that since -- just the first time. He finally ate it. Neither left a scrap.

All to say -- don't wait TOO long to offer adult mice. They are more nutritious and most cats will be just fine w/ them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks to both of you!

I did place a couple of ads on our local craigslist & kijiji.com looking for local Frozen mice, but no one has come forward yet.

A local reptile/fish store owner did contact me offering me a special price on a bag of adult mice since they just had a local "herp" show and had some frozen leftovers. I bought one bag of 25 adult mice for $20 plus tax, which came to be about 80 cents each. Their regular price for adult mice is $1.25 each.

I asked if they got their frozen mice locally, but they said no, they ordered it and received shipments of them.

I thawed 4 of them by putting them in a plastic bag and sat the bag in sink full of hot water for awhile.

The cats did not take to them as well as they did with the pinkies and fuzzies. Only 2 of the cats ate. Actually one of the cats stole from the others and ended up eating 3 of the mice!

Maybe they weren't thawed enough? Maybe too big? Not sure. I guess I'll wait a couple of days and try again.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Senior Cat

hoofmaiden - It can really depend on the cat how fast/slow they take to any new food. Generalizations don't really work! LOL So many different personalities.

Out of our four cats, TWO will eat just about anything.. one of the 2 yr olds and the 15 yr old (with the old guy I have to touch and play with something he is hesitant to eat and he will eat it fine). The other two (another two year old and a four year old) take more time. The four year old is the WORST.

Have you checked out RodentPro? Or similar?

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzby
Have you checked out RodentPro? Or similar?
Yes, thank you, I have. I've checked out RodentPro and Hare-Today. Their prices are quite reasonable, it's the shipping that seems to "breaks the bank", sigh.

I will keep looking/researching though. Thanks so much!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Senior Cat

Where about are you located? I can ask around.

Kelly

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Western NY, near Buffalo. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page