Can someone check out my amounts for me? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Can someone check out my amounts for me?

While I am not new to feeding raw, I am new to frankenprey. I decided a few days ago to try it out. Here is what I can up with.
10lb cat active young cat will eat aproximately 5oz of food per day.

Per week:
28oz meat
3.5oz meaty bones
1.75oz liver
1.75oz organ

How does everyone go about organizing this? I was thinking of making up 5oz. meals each day in jars with the meat chunks and organs included, and then on 2 or 3 nights giving them a chicken neck or wing as their dinner. Anyone do anything differently or have any suggestions? My biggest problem so far is letting everything freeze for a few weeks, especially the pork, and then having to defrost it to portion it out and serve it or refreeze it. Gets a little overwhelming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Banned

Re: Can someone check out my amounts for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls84
10lb cat active young cat will eat aproximately 5oz of food per day.

Per week:
28oz meat
3.5oz meaty bones
1.75oz liver
1.75oz organ

How does everyone go about organizing this? I was thinking of making up 5oz. meals each day in jars with the meat chunks and organs included, and then on 2 or 3 nights giving them a chicken neck or wing as their dinner.
I think you're overthinking this. Not sure how you came up with 3.5 oz "meaty bones" -- ? And it's a LOT of work to make up jars. Don't make "chunks" -- just hand out a mouse-sized piece of meat. No chunking necessary. I'm feeding dogs and cats, but basically, here's what I do:

Before bed: Take out food from freezer for next day and put in tray in turned-off oven to thaw overnight. For the cats, that may be a cornish game hen to quarter (1 quarter for each cat; the remainder to be re-frozen) (I do this 2-3 times a week); or it may be some venison (from which I cut off a mouse-sized piece for each cat); or it might be pork or beef (ditto); or it might be mice (adult), which I feed 3-4 meals a week.

AM: My cats eat twice a day, so I make their breakfasts and put the rest in the fridge for PM. I usually feed bony stuff (cornish hen, mice, etc.) in the AM b/c the dogs are outside during the day so I can put that stuff out in the dining room.

PM: I usually feed just meatymeat in the PM b/c the dogs are inside, so cats eat in the closet on shelves and they tend to drop the bigger, bonier stuff off the shelf and the dogs get it, LOL.

ORGANS: 4-5 meals a week I slap a small piece of liver or kidney on the plate w/ the rest of the food.

I do add taurine powder a few times a week. Not necessary, but it can't hurt so what the heck? I just sprinkle it on their food and they don't seem to notice.

I drizzle salmon oil over anything I feed in a bowl (meatymeat/organ) (as opposed to stuff they will drag around, like game hen or mice).

Don't overthink it is my advice. Unless you're feeding a very young kitten, you are feeding the 80/10/10 over time, not every single meal.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls84
My biggest problem so far is letting everything freeze for a few weeks, especially the pork, and then having to defrost it to portion it out and serve it or refreeze it. Gets a little overwhelming.
Why do that? Pork, o.k., but honestly, 99% of pork is gonna have already BEEN frozen before you get it and there has been no trichinosis in the US in years.

Anything else -- unless it's wild rabbit or birds -- can be fed fresh and they will love it that way. I try to cut up my cornish game hens fresh when I get them, feed 1/4 to each cat and then freeze. Ditto chickens w/ the dogs. No need to freeze everything. All freezing will kill is parasites, and unless you're feeding stomach/GI tract, that really isn't a concern. Bacteria, etc. are not killed by freezing and our carnivores can handle bacteria just fine anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Cool Cat

You can cut it up into proper portions before you freeze it and then just defrost what you need for that day.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Siameseifuplz~
You can cut it up into proper portions before you freeze it and then just defrost what you need for that day.
Ditto what Siam said.

I have five cats and I prepare everything in meal-size freezer bags. With their respective weights, that's 8oz for most meat meals (heart, pork, beef, gizzards), 10oz for the organ meals (5oz each liver/kidney), and the bone-in meals range from 9oz to 12oz. Each morning, I move the next day's meals (I feed three times a day) into one of the bottom bins in my fridge to defrost.

In case you're interested, here's my weekly menu:

Breakfast: 8ozs of gizzards and chicken hearts, beef round (come in precut stew pieces), pork loin chunks or beef heart chunks I cut and packaged myself.

Lunch: Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday are bone-in meals of cut-at-the-joint chicken wings, half a quail, a quarter of a Cornish Hen, or half a chicken breast with ribs. Tuesday and Friday are organ days 5ozs of beef liver and 5oz of beef kidney. Saturday and Sunday a de-boned and de-skinned turkey drumstick or chicken leg quarter. The drumsticks range in weight from 11ozs up to 18ozs each (as packaged), while the chicken quarters vary from 8oz to 14oz.

Dinner: 8 oz of chicken breast meat, or a de-boned and de-skinned turkey drumstick or chicken leg quarter.

Once a week, they share a single 3.75oz can of sardines (instead of supplementing for the Omega 3's) and every couple of weeks, they get a couple dozen live crickets or 5 whole mice (1 each, gutted and cut into three pieces). Every now and then, I'll try something different, like bison meat or whole eggs, just for the fun and variety of it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy
they get a couple dozen live crickets
I bet they go nuts over them. Thats a good idea. Mine go into full hunting mode when a bug is inside the apartment. They must be tasty because the cats keep eating them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy
they get a couple dozen live crickets
I bet they go nuts over them. Thats a good idea. Mine go into full hunting mode when a bug is inside the apartment. They must be tasty because the cats keep eating them.
Yes, they do. It's funny - I dump the crickets in the tub and now the cats all check it at odd times throughout the day, I guess hoping they missed one. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page