Question about Meat Requests of Hunters - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Question about Meat Requests of Hunters

Still being new to the raw food diet, I'd like to ask about what types of things I can request from hunters.

There are a couple of hunters at church that I'd like to approach, but I don't want to be vague about what I ask of them.

I obviously know I can ask for any unwanted/old meat from their freezer, old kills etc., but are there other things you approach hunters specifically to ask for? Organs? Something to do with when they "gut" an animal? Anything else?

If you'd take a moment to share with me, I'd greatly appreciate your help. Thank you!

Wife to 1, mom to 7 human children, 2 dogs & 6 indoor cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Question about Meat Requests of Hunters

No bear meat, bears eat trash which leads to trichinosis. I'm sure there is a way to kill trich but I don't know it. Basically ask for anything they don't want to eat or any freezer burned meat, with wild meat you will want to freeze it for some time(at least a few weeks) before feeding. You won't want any bones from deer or large animals, rabbit bones are mostly okay though. if you need organs then ask for those, chances are they don't need any of that. make sure you say you are willing to take the brain and other odd organs, sometimes they'll think you just want organs people sometimes eat, like liver. Just think about what you DO want, they'll probably be willing to give up organs, they will use the meat so that will be harder unless, like you said, they have older kills sitting in the freezer.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: Question about Meat Requests of Hunters

First you have to know what it is that they hunt. If they hunt birds, there's probably not going to be anything for them to give you other than maybe old birds and other meat from their freezers.

Assuming they hunt large prey animals, just ask for their leftover gut piles. Bear in mind, though, that they'll consider your request a bother, because no hunter wants to lug a heavy bag of animal guts out of the woods or have it take up room in his truck just to feed your animals. Hunters typically gut their kills where they fall in the woods and just leave the guts there for other animals to eat. They do that specifically so that they DON'T have to carry the extra weight of the guts out of the woods.

So, if you have something to offer in return (permission to hunt on your land, payment for the gut pile, help pulling their kill out of the woods, etc.), you'll be more likely to get a positive response. In my case, hunters like to hunt down my "driveway", so when I see a hunter parked along the road, I stop and hand them a heavy construction garbage bag and ask if they will please save me their gut pile if it's not too much bother. Since I'm the only person who lives on my road, I just ask them to leave the bagged gut pile by the side of the road, and I drive down and pick up any bags I find each day during deer season.

You can also try contacting your local hunter's association and seeing if you can make a plea to their membership for gut piles. Also try local hunting resorts, if you have any in your area.

If you are lucky enough to talk hunters into bagging their gut piles for you, you may end up with most of the organs, including stomach, lungs, liver, kidneys, spleen, intestines, heart, etc. Of those, the only thing I won't feed is intestines (waaaay too messy to try to open and clean out), so I just toss them back in the woods. Be sure to tell the hunter that you want ALL of the guts that they don't keep for themselves. If you're really lucky, maybe you can even convince the hunter to save the testicles for you. Don't expect brains, though (hunters have no reason to split the skull, and a deer's brain is only the size of a walnut, anyway).

Oh, and ask the hunters who processes their game. There will likely be several folks in your area who do meat processing (cutting up and wrapping meat off of the carcasses). Contact the processors and ask if you can scavenge their meat scraps. Some processors really clean all the meat off of the bones, while others leave a lot of the tougher tendon meats on the leg bones. The latter processors can be terrific sources of free muscle meat, esp. during hunting season. If hunters tell you they do their own processing, ask if you can buy their meat scraps from them when they're finished. Just don't harvest bloody meat from around the gunshot wound where there's likely to be trace amounts of lead.

FYI, trichinellosis is killed by freezing meat for 3 weeks at 0 degrees F or colder. IMO, ALL wild meat should be frozen for 3 weeks before feeding.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page