Turkey Necks? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Turkey Necks?

Are turkey necks ok to feed to cats? They are a bit long--maybe 10", so should they be cut (if they even can be?). Thanks.

Wife to 1, mom to 7 human children, 2 dogs & 6 indoor cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Turkey Necks?

I've fed them before.

The way I did it was to try cut them in half, smash them with a hammer, and let the cats go at it. They did just fine with the whole thing and never left any part of the neck uneaten.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Banned

I've read of some cats handling turkey neck bones just fine, although I can't picture a housecat big enough to warrant eating an entire neck in one sitting. Kitchen shears would probably work just fine in cutting them down.

My cats eat chicken necks and wings, but they complain about it a lot and it takes them a while. I wouldn't offer turkey necks 'cause I know they wouldn't get beyond the first bite.

So, yeah, it's fine to offer if your cat will eat it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you to BOTH of you for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends251
The way I did it was to try cut them in half, smash them with a hammer, and let the cats go at it. They did just fine with the whole thing and never left any part of the neck uneaten.
So did you put the meat in a bag or something and just hit it with a regular hammer? Do you smash it once or several times? Thank you.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Cool Cat

I wouldn't feed it without smashing personally. I put it in a plastic bad and use a mallet but a hammer would work fine. Smash it with many hits and feel the neck through the bag, try and feel the bones and you should be able to feel the bones broken into pieces. If it does not seem smashed enough to you flip it over and smash some more.

Be careful if the neck is against the edge of the bag when you hit because some bags split open and out comes the neck!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Senior Cat

We feed them because they're cheap and offer a lot of chew/meat action! I just put them in 2-4' pieces and they do fine. My cats are semi-used to bones though.. they only ever leave a little neck left.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Ok, thank you to everyone, I appreciate it!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Banned

I would spend more time if I were you finding good meatymeat. Cats do NOT have a high bone requirement and neck is mostly bone. Turkey neck is a TON of bone. Cats only need 5-10% bone tops in their diets and hence, you need to devote yourself to finding nice boneless meat and toss in bone a few times a week.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Senior Cat

When I fed them the farm cats had just started eating raw so I basically smashed them to a pulp If I were to feed them now I'd just cut them in half and smash them a little bit since they know how to chew much better than they did before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page