Whole Frying Chicken - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Whole Frying Chicken

I purchased a whole frying chicken to experiment with and most of the cats who will eat raw seemed to enjoy the pieces I cut up for them. I did have to cut a lot because I thought it was a bit too large.

My question is, how do I feed the middle chest/ribcage part? Do I cut it or feed it whole?

Here is a picture--I didn't want to feed it without asking first. Thank you.

Wife to 1, mom to 7 human children, 2 dogs & 6 indoor cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Whole Frying Chicken

What I would do:

cut off the ribs first, they make great sized bones for cats to eat.

See if you can break some of the bones to cut down more on the size (I just twist it until it breaks, gross but works).

If the knife won't cut up some of it I just try to break the bone instead, I can get a chicken down to mouse sized chunks by using that method when the knife isn't working.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Cool Cat

First off the with ribs as was said by furry and get some of the surrounding meat along with the ribs. You'd have to break through some of the rib bones to cut them off but it's easy with the knife. Then cut the spine into two or three sections. Cut through the meat and get between two vertebrae. Cut into the cartilage between the vertebrae as much as you can and then bend the spine, twist the spine, etc. until it snaps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Ok, thank you to both of you.

So, whole frying chickens are something okay/acceptable to feed then, right? I just want to be sure I'm doing this right. Thanks.

Wife to 1, mom to 7 human children, 2 dogs & 6 indoor cats.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Senior Cat

Yes they are just fine

However I think (and if I am wrong please correct me) that whole chickens are about 30% bones and cats only need 10% bones at the most. So if you do feed whole chickens make sure to feed something boneless as well like hearts, beef, pork, etc as well to bring the bone percentage down.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfriends251
Yes they are just fine

However I think (and if I am wrong please correct me) that whole chickens are about 30% bones and cats only need 10% bones at the most. So if you do feed whole chickens make sure to feed something boneless as well like hearts, beef, pork, etc as well to bring the bone percentage down.
You don't have to do that during the same meal. First, cats are just not going to eat most of the bones in a chicken. Too big. They'll leave the larger ones after they clean them off. Second, just feed a bone-in meal in the a.m. and a meatymeat meal in the p.m. I feed Cornish game hens instead of regular chicken b/c the bones are more edible for cats, but b/c the % of bone IS high I only feed those 2-3X a week. It's not necesssary to balance EACH meal -- just balance over time.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Senior Cat

Mine will eat almost every bone in the chicken, what they won't eat I smash for them so they can get the marrow. my meal times are kind of messed up because I can only feed my barn cats one time a day. I feed something with about 30% bone on day but then boneless the next two. The organs though are balanced every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page