Dose anybody suplement calcium and not feed bones? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Dose anybody suplement calcium and not feed bones?

I'm having truble getting my cat to eat bones. He chews around them and spits them out. I'm suplementing with Eggshellent (a calcium suplement) trying to get him everyhing he needs. He eats meat and kidnys and liver with no problems but bones are an issue. I want my cat (who is 6 months) to eat bones I'm working on it. In the mean time how much should i give him? The directions say 1Teaspoon Eggshellent to 1lb meat is that enough? Dose any body know? Dose anybody use a suplement and not feed bones? I'd love a little help.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Senior Cat

Re: Dose anybody suplement calcium and not feed bones?

What bones have you tried? Chicken ribs are very small so I'd assume Cornish Game hen ribs would be much smaller. If you smash them cats are more likely to not even notice that they just ate the ribs and keep going with that piece of meat.

I did eggshell powder until I could get a few of the farm cats to eat bones.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well Iíve tried chicken and Cornish game hen bones, ribs. He actually chewed a piece of meat with a small piece of bone in it, ate the meat and spit out the bone! What cheek (well he is a cat) so that is the type of thing Iím dealing with how do i get around that?! It would be far far easier to feed bone in meat but Mathias is not cooperating with me. Any body with any ideas i'd love to hear them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 04:27 AM
Tom Cat

I don't think too many people on here supplement calcium. If they do, then people usually use human grade bone meal. The bone meal will do for now but bones are far better. As furryfriends251 said smashing the bones can help entice your kitty to eat the whole thing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Banned

How long have you been working on his eating bone? I would give him more time. I would give him a whole Cornish game hen quarter (i.e., CGH cut in half and then those halves cut in half). Don't smash anything up. Leave him alone and let him work on it. More than likely he'll figure it out. Try offering something bone-in for one meal a day and boneless the other meal.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Half of my cats will crunch bones, and the other half will not. For the half who won't deal with whole bones, I smash them thoroughly with a hammer (the bones, not the cats). That solves the problem for most bone-phobic cats and convinces them to go ahead and eat them.

Laurie
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Banned

Another thing to do, if you're up for it, is to feed raw (frozen/thawed) mice. That's the complete package -- meat, bone and organ -- and the bones are tiny so pretty much all cats will eat the whole thing up once they get the idea.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks all i appreciate all the advice and i'm gearing up to do the hole bone in meat again! Believe me i would MUCH rather do that much simpler and over all better. He is only 6 months old so we have not really been at it for very long. When he was weaned he started on chicken burger and moved on to little chunks and then on to bigger chunks and finally he is eating the 1oz size meat for about a month with out a problem. Periodically I would try bone in meat but it was like he did not know what to do with it so we went back to working our way up to bigger size meat chunks to get to bone in meat. I'm hoping this time it will work (and i'm not going to give up again ether)

Hoofmaiden this question is for you since you brought it up (anybody that would like please leave an answer to of course ) Where do you get frozen mice? I do know about the web but where do you get them and how much dose that type of meals cost a month? I would really like some details suffice to say i'm willing to give it a try but i've been unemployed for 6 months and just found a part time job and funds are low low low. And now i'm looking at a vet bill and ....... it is not a good time to go and do something new and expensive. And I donít have a lot of freezer space to buy in bulk at the moment. But i would like the info for later!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzel
When he was weaned he started on chicken burger and moved on to little chunks and then on to bigger chunks and finally he is eating the 1oz size meat for about a month with out a problem. Periodically I would try bone in meat but it was like he did not know what to do with it so we went back to working our way up to bigger size meat chunks to get to bone in meat. I'm hoping this time it will work (and i'm not going to give up again ether) .
Keep in mind that my Jonah was eating small mice at FOUR WEEKS.
Quote:
Hoofmaiden this question is for you since you brought it up (anybody that would like please leave an answer to of course ) Where do you get frozen mice? I do know about the web but where do you get them and how much dose that type of meals cost a month?
If you're in American Rodent Supply's "red" shipping zone, shipping is free for $100 worth and mice are like .16 each!

http://www.americanrodent.com/americanr ... list09.pdf

If you have to pay shipping it will be more, but figure out the cost-per-mouse w/ shipping and it's still not that bad.

Other places to order them:

http://www.hare-today.com/

http://www.rodentpro.com/

My advice is to go to a local reptile store (or PetSmart if that's all you have) and get a few smaller frozen mice (fuzzies or hoppers) to see if you can get him hooked. They'll be pricier there, but if you don't want to order a LOT and then find out that for some strange reason he won't eat them, it would be best. Once he's eating large, full-sized mice (which should be fast), order online for the best deal.

My Jonah ate pinkies at week 4, fuzzies at week 5, hoppers at 6, small mice at 7, and is now eating big mice at 8 weeks. Your cat SHOULD be able to go to large mice pretty quickly.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurief
I smash them thoroughly with a hammer (the bones, not the cats)
Though, at times, I semi feel like doing it to the cats. They drive me nuts at feeding time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page