What do vets think about the raw diet? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

What do vets think about the raw diet?

Hi All,

As I'm sure many of you have read, I am in the beginning stages of transitioning ET to a raw diet. I am new to the city in which I live and I am taking ET to a vet on Monday for the first time since I adopted him (he was seen previously at the SPCA where I got him, of course) for a well visit. I of course want to be forthcoming about ETs diet but I am apprehensive as to what the vet will think. I pretty much had to select a vet without any personal recommendations, although the testimonials/reviews I read online seemed positive (she also is a cat-only vet).

So I guess my question is, how has your veterinarian handled your decision to feed raw? Were they supportive, in different, or totally horrified? What suggestions do you have for initiating these conversations? I hope I won't feel like I need to DEFEND my decision to feed raw, or be talked out of it!

Thanks in advance

-BP

Edited to add that ET is doing GREAT with the transition... still on just chicken (feeding 2 meals dry/wet, spaced 8 hrs apart from the middle raw meal) but has had 3 raw meals in the last 3 days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Tom Cat

Re: What do vets think about the raw diet?

most of the time vets+raw=
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Senior Cat

This may be helpful: http://www.fnes.org/opinion/talking-to- ... -why-i-lie

Its easier to just attribute your cats healthiness to its diet but not saying what that diet is. Some vets will automatically blame raw for making a cat sick even if the cat is completly treatable and its illness has nothing to do with feeding raw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

I have very progressive vets where I go. They offer behavior consultation, acupuncture, traditional chinese medicine, and homeopathic remedies, so I'm pretty sure they're up to speed on raw, but I've never asked about it.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

My vets aren't supportive of raw, though only one of them actively tries to talk me out of it. The other occasionally offers me cautions associated with raw feeding, but he knows I've done my homework, so he doesn't fuss about it.

Laurie
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Banned

Unfortunately, the vet I most trust my cats to is not up to speed on the risks/benefits of raw feeding. Heck, he still sells Science Diet. *sigh*

I have an annual scheduled with all five cats on 9 November and unless I'm cornered into it, I'm not even going to think about what the cats eat.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I am really disappointed about what you are telling me, but not surprised. I read the FNES article posted... I can't believe some places even require raw fed animals to be isolated. Absolutely ridiculous.

I can definitely see where "lying" is best, especially if telling the truth could compromise your cat's care

Thank you, and please keep your experiences and stories coming.

-BP
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 10:57 PM
Senior Cat

Just recently our vet has actually called me out for raw ruining my dogs teeth (3 year old chi). Funniest thing is... we only got her 6mths before she went in for her dental. They admitted once I asked if 6mths was enough time to do that damage, that is was NOT my fault..

BUT - before asking why I sent a couple raw meatballs instead of kibble/canned they automatically start reaming me out that "all you feed her is ground beef" (it was actually LAMB- thankyouverymuch).

So no. I would not mention raw to my vet. Ever.

We have found a new vet now, who I asked a couple yrs ago what he thought of me raw feeding (when my cat broke his leg we went to him and we were just starting the transition) and he said "I wouldn't suggest it but they're your cats". I like this attitude much better than "OMG YOU'RE KILLING YOUR DOG/CATS!!!" (which just makes me SO mad!).

Kelly

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:59 AM
Cat Addict

We've been lucky - the office where we take Gracie has a very well-informed main vet and they just added a second vet who is a naturopath, who is very supportive of raw food. She attributed Gracie's good dental health to the raw food, and also her lack of major problems with fleas. Even so, they sell prescription canned food and other mainstream things through the office, too.

Fran
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Jr. Cat

I know what you mean about feeling like I have to defend my decision to feed raw to combat the ignorance and hostility to feeding raw i remind my self why i feed what i feed. Substandard meat that is cooked beyond edibility and sever lack of nutrition ect. I am going to assume that you are well informed and know what your doing (if not this a great place to find what you need ) so make sure you can give a reasonable explanation to the vet if necessary and don't worry about it. You are responsible for ET's care not the vet. The vet is just hired help to assist you in that endeavor. Another thing you don't have to tell the vet that you feed raw and you don't have to lie just don't say anything unless asked and if the vet throws a fit this might not be the vet for you, just a thought. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page