"Frankenprey" - which bits how often? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat

"Frankenprey" - which bits how often?

Hiya all
Decided I'm going to go the frankenprey route. I've been feeding one raw meal a day for about 3 weeks (pork, chicken and beef) and they love it so I'm gonna take it to the next step now.
Today I bought chicken livers, pork heart and pork kidneys, and have cut them up into smallish pieces and bagged and frozen them in portions. Both my girls were in the kitchen watching me so they had a couple of pieces of each. They weren't sure about the kidney at first but had a go and ate most of it eventually.
My question is how often do I feed organs? I know they don't need much of each so I've just frozen a couple of pieces of each organ per portion of food.

I also got chicken wings and snapped each into two and have smashed them up with a rolling-pin (fun ) but now I'm concerned that as I've smashed them up there'll be splinters of bone in them - is this something I need to worry about? I smashed them up as these girls haven't had this kind of food for long and chicken bones can be a bit big sometimes, plus Baby's still only 13 weeks old. I read that other people smash their boned meat up at first as a way to introduce it. Am I worrying over nothing? And how often should I feed boned meat?

Thanks in advance!
Cherry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Banned

Re: "Frankenprey" - which bits how often?

How much of what you feed depends on your cats' weights and activity levels. The Natural Diet Information Resources thread has a section on the calculations that you should find helpful.

Chicken wings with the skin and meat still on them are good starter bone-in meals, especially if you beat them with a rolling pin (had to laugh at the visual you gave me). Chicken ribs, with breast meat still attached, are good, too, as they're small and flexible.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Cat Addict

This is not very scientific, but it has helped me to make portion sizes for Gracie - I try to visualize that her stomach is more or less the size of a walnut, and that a perfect meal for her is mouse-sized.

Thinking in those terms, the little bit of organ meat each kitty has should come to about half a teaspoon, or up to a teaspoon (the amount of organs in a mouse), wouldn't you think? And the white or dark muscle meat maybe a tablespoon, plus or minus depending on how big your cat is?

I freeze the raw meals I make up for Gracie in an ice-cube tray. A heaping portion in one slot is just a little big for a single meal, so I give her half at breakfast, and the other half as either her dinner hour portion or her late evening snack. She gets a little bit of canned food each day, too - about a tablespoon and a half, just for variety and for additional nutrition (and she loves food, anyway ).

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned

First, know that heart does NOT count as organ. Liver and kidney do, as do other "secreting" organs, but muscley things like heart and gizzards count as meat. Once the kitty is used to eating them, you can feed a whole meal of heart if you like.

I hand out kidney and liver 2-3 meals a week in pieces about the size of my pinky finger. Works great. I also feed whole mice, so they get organs that way as well, but the pinky finger amount is about right if you give it 2-3 times a week. You don't have to give it daily.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks all

I've frozen heart in with the organ meals just to make those meals into a whole meal rather than adding the bits to a regular meal. I'm just trying to work out an easy way to get everything in but not confuse myself! So I've got bags of liver/kidneys/heart. Bags of beaten chicken wings. And bags of chicken/pork/beef meat in varying combinations. Figure I've got everything covered.
Baby ate half a chicken wing this afternoon then tried to steal Fiona's, whose not so keen on the boned stuff so far, but I know these things can take time - she's ok with everything else so far

Another question - is it possible to feed them too much organ meat? If I give them too much by mistake is it bad for them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Tom Cat

I struggled the first time I did raw with making sure they were getting everything they needed. I stressed in preparation by just prebagging my muscle meat and bone and then randomly throwing in organs when I thought it was time. In the long run I was more stressed worrying they weren't getting what they needed in organ meat.

So this time around I decided to prepackage complete meals. So in my freezer there are complete meals with bone and complete without bone. By complete I mean muscle meat and organs. So Sun, Tues, Thurs and Sat I feed complete meals without bone, Mon, Wed and Fri I feed complete meals with bone.

I just did math to figure out how much each cat should be eating in a month, used my 80/10/10 ratio and thats how a package, obviously using numbers. Although I only weigh my muscle meat and bone, I eye ball my organs now because on a daily basis the amount is so minimal, I know what .3 oz looks like in my hand. I also know that the numbers I work with are so exact to 80/10/10 that I don't need to be perfect on everything when weighing.

Leslie
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie
Another question - is it possible to feed them too much organ meat? If I give them too much by mistake is it bad for them?
Once or twice, no, it's not bad for them. But the cat may get the runs.

Over time, yeah, theoretically if you give a cat waaaaay too much liver you could cause vitamin A toxicosis, I suppose, but that's not very likely.

It is INEVITABLE that those new to raw will obsess about these things, worry that if the cat doesn't have a "complete" meal in every mouthful, the sky will fall, etc. I know - I was like that, too. Just try to chill and over time you'll come to realize that it's not brain surgery. Before I started adding mice to the buffet, I fed cornish game hen quarters 3-4 meals a week, meaty meat meals every other meal, liver 2-3 meals a week, and kidney 2-3 meals a week. They did GREAT on this.

Feeding mice/whole prey seems ickier, I know, but it also takes all the guesswork out of things b/c you really ARE feeding the complete package. It's a good idea to keep that in your head as a possible end goal. Maybe you won't get there, but don't count it out entirely. I am vegan, and it took me 10 years to FINALLY take the plunge. Once I did, I went from ground to whole prey in 7 mos.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks hoofmaiden
I did some pricing here in the UK for mice - an adult mouse worked out fairly expensive compared to buying various meats myself and making up meals. I love the simplicity of just throwing my two a mouse each though!

Thanks for all the advice guys!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page