Cornish Hen Preparation! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cornish Hen Preparation!

Hi Guys,

I'm headed to the grocer soon and am going to pick up a CGH for ET! I'm very excited. Hoofmaiden, I know you mentioned quartering it. I plan to do that. I am still feeding ET about 2oz wet/day along with 1/3 scoop dry (but moving away from the dry, of course) along with one wet meal (largely boneless/skinless chicken breast). Would the 1/4 CGH account for an entire days worth? I'm closely monitoring ETs weight through all this, but I have a feeling I'm overfeeding him.

Thanks so much.

-BP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Banned

Re: Cornish Hen Preparation!

1/4 CGH is plenty for one day, but of course it's best to feed cats twice a day. Rather than cutting them up into smaller pieces, on the 2-3 days a week I feed CGH, they get 1/4 ea in the a.m. and in the p.m. they get a VERY small meal of meatymeat--half what they usually get. Seems to be working well.

Expect your cats to leave some of the bigger bones. That's fine. I just let the dogs clean those up for me.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Wow, there is A LOT of meat in those things!!

I quartered it and ET is trying to figure out what to make of it all. I helped him with a piece of neck which he ended up doing very well with. And I understand what everyone here says now- it is very satisfying to listen to them CRUNCH!

I'm going to let him keep working through the quarter, and see how far he gets. Meanwhile I'm going to bag up the remaining pieces.

This may sound very silly, but what do I do with the "giblet bag" that came in the hen? How do I know what is what?

Thanks for putting up with all my silly, amateur questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Banned

Wow -- you got a neck and giblets? Mine never come w/ those. The chickens, yes, but not the CGHs. I'm envious! Keep 'em and feed them later! Usually the giblets are the liver, kidneys (both good organs to feed), and gizzard (good meatymeat).

And yeah, I would let him eat for a while. What he doesn't eat, you can rinse and put in a baggie for tomorrow.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I opened the giblet mystery bag and was able to ID kidneys (which are surprisingly large I think!), liver, and something else that looked like another neck?! Haha. I always was afraid of the turkey giblet bag as I kid so I never really got a good look at it.

I'm shocked at how much meat I got... and with organ too as a bonus! I bagged everything up and stuck it in the freezer. For some reason at the grocer the CGH were packaged in twos, so I got 2 complete hens for $7.50. That will turn into, at the absolute max, <$1/day. That's INCREDIBLE!

ET's response to a good meal? Rocketbutting around the house hehe. I've left the remainder of today's meal down for him, and he is definitely still giving it some thought between his rocket episodes.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Banned

Great price! You did check to make sure it's not enhanced, right? Sodium content should be 80mg per serving or less.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I did not know that! Thankfully, I just dug the wrapper out of the trash and the sodium is 40mg/white, 55mg/dark :-D

While I have your attention , could you fill me in/point me to information about the phosphorus concerns with meat? I recall reading in another post something about a "phosphorus blocker" or "absorber." I may be mistaken, but I want to avoid too much phosphorus as that seems to cause a problem.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Banned

Nooooo. There is NO REASON to worry about phosphorus. Cats need phosphorus. You only use a phos binder for cats with CRF (kidney disease). Just feed your kitty and don't worry!

How much are your cornish game hens weighing? I'm wondering if they are bigger than mine.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yes! That was it. It was in a thread where someone had a cat with CRF. I guess I focused in on the phos binder comment that I took it out of context.

The package was 3.2lbs for 2 CGH, so I'd imagine 1.6lbs each. Is that big? It sounds big to me, but I'm not too sure what to compare it to.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Banned

Yeah, that's bigger than mine! Mine are tiny. You might need to cut them into smaller pieces for ET and freeze the rest so you don't waste any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page