Quite a few questions about the raw diet! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quite a few questions about the raw diet!

Basically,I'm going to get a cat in the near future,so I don't even have one yet! I always grew up with a bunch of cats being in the house but it wasn't until a got older that I realized those cats shouldn't have been in the shape they were in. Bad breath,rotting teeth,overweight. I'm ashamed to say I didn't even take notice to these things until I was a teenager. I don't think my mother really knew all the things that were needed to maintain a healthy cat either. So before I even get a cat,I want to start off right!

So my main point of interest right now is this raw diet! I agree that a lot of stuff in canned food seem awful. My mother's cats were fed Meow Mix and Whiskas,and I cringed looking at the ingredient list!

One thing that scares me about this raw diet,however, is the fact that's it's...raw. I'm not too worried about bacteria,I've taken a basic food handlers course but they always said that meat needs to be cooked because of parasites. One area on the internet says that if the meat is frozen for a week,you're fine. Another site said it needs to be flash frozen for a certain time,etc. It's kind to frustrating being told different things. If it needs to be frozen at a certain temperature,is the nutrient loss significant? If I purchased from a reputable butcher,would I even need to worry about parasites? If I got my cat those monthly worm prevention treats,would that prevent it? Are those treats even healthy for cats?

I'm leaning towards frakenpray,chopping the meat into large chunks.Buying hearts and liver too. I don't think I could watch my cat eat a bird or mouse whole. I was also going to make sure there was blood present as a sort of "gravy".

Bones are another issue,if my future cat doesn't crunch through the soft bones...how bad is supplementing human grade bone meal? Or perhaps egg shell is better?

Could I give my kitty soft boiled eggs?They have lots of nutrition and I also read egg whites weren't good for cats.

I was thinking of a supplement to put into the mix,such as Missing Link Feline Formula for extra assurance that my cat is getting everything it needs...but maybe it truly isn't necessary?

Is cranberry powder effective at maintaining PH?What Ph should I be looking for? What fecal consistency would I be looking for to make sure it's getting the appropriate meat:bone ratio?

And last but not least,fiber. I know cat's are carnivores,but I also thought even wild cats chewed on grasses to help their digestion? Obviously I want to stay away from corn and broccoli,but I heard beets are a good fiber sources that won't cause flatulence. Opinions?

Sorry for asking anything that's already been answered elsewhere,I was having trouble finding the information elsewhere on the boards that fully answered things.Thank you all so much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Senior Cat

Re: Quite a few questions about the raw diet!

The only thing you have to worry about when feeding raw meat is yourself handling it. Cats are made to eat/digest raw meat but we aren't.

Heart is not an organ when feeding frankenprey, it is considered muscle meat.

You'll need to feed 5% liver as well as 5% other secreting organ (typically kidney is the easiest to find).

IMO there is no reason to add any plant material to raw food.

Egg wise raw egg yolks are great as often as a cat can handle them. You can cook egg whites to feed them as well or just throw them out.

Most cats are great at eating bones even if they aren't to start out with. Start with something small like chicken ribs, cornish game hens, or chicken necks.

There is no reason to supplement when doing frankenprey as long as you are making it balanced with:

80-85% meat: any meat you can get (the more variety the better), heart, gizzards are also under the meat category

5-10% bone: small enough for a cat to eat it. If you can don't just use chicken bones but also quail, rabbit, or duck.

5% liver: While I don't use any organic meat I do use pasture raised, no antibiotic liver. Lamb liver is my cats personal choice...the plus with that is that I have actually seen where those lambs are raised and it is great!

5% kidney: again I use the same type as the liver. Thats also all I can find.

Salmon Oil: a few drops a feeding OR a sardine a week.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Banned

Furryfriends gave great answers, Missyjean. I just wanted to welcome you to the board and say congrats! on both the new kitty and on finding and feeding the most nutritionally complete diet for your cat. Congrats and Kudos!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Banned

There are some great answers to your worries, as well as info on transitioning, etc, here:

http://www.rawfedcats.org/

The raw myths site is geared towards dogs but 99.9% of it applies to cats, too. Here is the myth about bacteria worries:

http://rawfed.com/myths/bacteria.html

My cats (and dogs) have never been happier or healthier since going raw. I'm a vegan, and if *I* can do it, ANYONE can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page