UTI prone kitty and starting a raw diet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

UTI prone kitty and starting a raw diet

Hello everyone,

I have a Bengal who is prone to getting UTIs and I am looking into new diets for him (as well as for my other Bengal). I was wondering if there would be any special things that I would have to do to a raw diet for a cat prone to UTIs or for UTI prevention or would the diet just take care of the problem for the most part?

Thanks,
Rae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Banned

Re: UTI prone kitty and starting a raw diet

Generally speaking, a prey model or whole prey raw diet, done correctly, acidifies the urine to a normal level and hence, helps prevent UTIs. Not necessarily a cure-all, however.

The main points: 80-85% meat, fed whole in mouse-sized pieces; 5-10% bone, fed with meat of course; 10% organ, half of which should be liver. This is fed over time, not necessarily perfect %s every day.

My additional recommendations: As much variety as you can manage -- cornish game hen is good small bone for cats, but also consider mice/rats, quail, duck, etc. As for meatymeat, there's beef and chicken, but also venison, pork, duck, quail, etc.

AVOID FISH. This is true for all cats - even when I get some for free I only feed fish to the cats one meal a week. But for cats prone to UTIs you want to avoid fish entirely.

Good luck!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks SOOOO much for that advice. I'm going to wait until i'm in a better place financially (should be around a month or so) to start on this endevor but I will continue to do my research. Should I feed my other cat, Leo, (who has no history of UTI but is a littermate of my Teddy) a UTI diet as well? I've heard that Bengals are somewhat prone to UTIs but I don't know how accurate that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

Not sure what you're asking. Raw is not "a UTI diet." I would certainly recommend that you feed both your cats raw b/c it's better for them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
Not sure what you're asking. Raw is not "a UTI diet." I would certainly recommend that you feed both your cats raw b/c it's better for them.
I meant a raw diet without fish that is better for kitties prone to UTIs sorry I didn't re-read that post for accuracy before I sent it
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Banned

Ah, o.k. Yeah, generally it's best to avoid fish for the most part anyway. Contrary to popular belief, fish aren't part of most cats' natural diet.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
Ah, o.k. Yeah, generally it's best to avoid fish for the most part anyway. Contrary to popular belief, fish aren't part of most cats' natural diet.
I suppose that is true, since most cats HATE water
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Banned

Hi, Raecarrow. Welcome to the forum.

Dry food is very unhealthy for cats and, among other things, keeps them in a constantly dehydrated state - a condition that stresses all their organs and can cause UTI's.

Putting cats on a wet diet or, even better, a properly proportioned raw diet, will help alleviate or even eliminate these issues. The Feline Nutrition Education Society has articles that can help you transition your kitty to a raw diet.

Cats who come down with UTI's are often prone to recurring infections, so I would suggest that you stay in touch with your vet and check your cat's values regularly.

It's wonderful that you're researching the best nutrition for your kitty! What's his name? I think Bengals are one of the most beautiful and fascinating cat breeds.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy
It's wonderful that you're researching the best nutrition for your kitty! What's his name? I think Bengals are one of the most beautiful and fascinating cat breeds.
I have two Bengal boys Teddy and Leo, they are littermates even though I got them a year and a half apart. I got Teddy when he was a year old (kitty with UTI issues) I got his brother Leo 3 weeks ago today from the same breeder I got Teddy from. The breeder has a 10 month old daughter and doesn't have the time or money to breed kitties at this time so she only has adult cats that she is trying to find homes for. You can now see their pictures in my signature!

Edited for reference to pictures
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Banned

Beautiful! And they're very lucky to have you as their meowmy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page