Raw feeding a 3 months old kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Raw feeding a 3 months old kitten

I picked up a little 3 months old cat from a local monastry and it refuses to eat wiskas dry or wet foods. It was biting me untill I gave it raw meat and is now a happy kitten. It's probably used to eating prey only.

I have alot of questions though and I hope I can find some answers here!
-Looking through ingredients of Wiskas etc this doesn't seem healthy to me at all. So even if the precentages of 5% lever, 10% hart, 10% bone 75% muscle aren't really acurate it's still going to be alot more nutricious then feeding them dryfood right? So I don't have to worry!

-I read I can only give him fish once a weak? Is this bad for my cat if I do this more often? It is the easiest and cheapest whole prey I can get..

-I'm looking for a place to buy mice and chicks but haven't found this yet. So currently I buy chicken drumsticks, chop of a piece of the bone and hack this into pieces the cat can swallow. Is this the way to go or can't a cat digest grown chicken bones at all? I don't know what other bone to get?!

-If I buy a fish do I feed this to him in whole? Including fish bones and the head?

Is milk healthy for my cat?

Currently I'm giving him chicken liver, chicken heart, piece of drumstick bone chopped up, chicken meat. And a fish chopped up in whole once a weak. Fresh milk and an egg every now and then. Is this the way to go?
Unless I find mice to feed him should I bring diversity with Cow or Pork meat? Rabbit or duck meat is to expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Banned

Re: Raw feeding a 3 months old kitten

Welcome to the forum, Paul! And congrats on your new family member.

Here are a couple of threads and sites you might find helpful:

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=57301

http://fnes.org/

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=56337

A.C.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Allright that pretty much covers what I wanted to know.

I understand it isn't healthy to give it alot of fish, but how about Frogs? Turtles? Shrimps? I live in Thailand and the local markets sell these alive at very low prices. Do they count as fish or can they be fed on a regular basis? And what about small reptiles like lizards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Banned

Interesting questions, Paul. I'm thinking that all those items are likely good candidates for a once a week meal, but not necessarily as part of a staple diet.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Looks like you're pulling together quite a nice menu for your kitty! What did you name him?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

I'm gonna have to stick with the supermarket meat supply since my girlfriend doesn't like me feeding it live toads or birds. So chicken, cow, pork and an occasional fish it'll be. No luck on mice or chicks unfortionately.

I named it Lucifer!

It's a black siamese cross breed, I don't know with what. Probably another native thai cat species. They are so much more affectionate then the European Shorts I used to have in Holland! Less active though, I like it both but it's a good thing this one doesn't jump off my lap within the minute but sits through the entire movie haha
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Senior Cat

I should think the lizards and frogs would be safer than fish/shrimp for a more often meal.. dead though.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Here's my final kitten raw food diet, about 100gr a day:

Mo: Whole bird 150gr
Tu: 50gr organs + 50gr chicken ribs
We: 50gr egg + 50gr groundmeat/chickenbreast/beef + piece of chickenrib
Th: 50gr chickenrib + 150gr duck/chicken wing or pork/lamb ribs (meant for him to strip off the meat so the bone don't count in the weight here)
Fr: 100gr meat + egg + piece of chickenrib
Sa: Whole bird 150gr
Su: 50gr organs + egg + // either 25gr meat + piece of chickenrib OR a small 50gr fish

*organs are a mix of chicken heart, liver and gizzard

Here's Lucifer approaching his prey, those feet just go down the hatch at once... Like a snake haha amazing!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Allthough I use 100gr a day in my menu here I really feed it as much as he wants... He eats some and leaves the rest for later, when I see he ate all of it I just throw in the next portion. He gets about 4 portions a day and eats it in about 8 times.

Do I have to stick to the 100gr or can I just let him decide how much he wants to eat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page