Is re-freezing ok? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Is re-freezing ok?

Hi all,

My mother always told me "never re-freeze meat you have thawed." I've always followed this rule, but I've found that the portions that I've frozen for ET are too big (or they are too much of the same kind) and they are sitting in my fridge for more than 2 days. Is it okay for me to throw them back in the freezer? I think I'm getting a much better sense of portions now, so this shouldn't be a problem for long. I did a quick google search and the USDA says re-freezing is okay (although the meat may be a little less hydrated upon the second thawing) so I'm guessing its okay, but I wanted to run it by the raw food gurus

At the moment, ET is happily munching on his first kidney (he's still on 50/50)

-BP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Is re-freezing ok?

I was kinda wondering the same thing. I have found that my local grocery store sells frozen cornish hens, duck and rabbit for fairly low prices! But I would need to thaw these in order to portion them. Is re-freezing an option?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Senior Cat

We thaw and re-freeze.

There are conflicting opinions - I tend to go with this one:

Re-freezing for ppl is a no-no because of possibly freezer burn (turning meat rubbery and tough). My cats don't care! I guess some say there is also the chance of contamination? Again, cats made to eat meat.. shorter digestive tract and less chance of them getting it.

The other hand is that freezing degrades the meat some, so thaw and re-freeze would do so more. *shrugs* I feed enough of a variety that I am not too concerned.

I think it has to do with your comfort level.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Banned

Any kind of processing, such as grinding and freezing, degrades nutrient content. Thawing and refreezing even more so (this is just one of the reasons I don't go for craigs-list procured products).

However, the reality is - meat is frozen when it's shipped. It has to be thawed to a certain extent to be divided into meal-sized portions, then refrozen until we're ready for that meal. I minimize the thawing and refreezing as much as possible, and just accept that some degradation is going to occur no matter what we do.

Can you cut the meat while it's still partially frozen, ETrescued, instead of waiting two days?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy
Can you cut the meat while it's still partially frozen, ETrescued, instead of waiting two days?
Yes, I think I will be able to. I have a good sense now of what an appropriate portion size is, so I'm pretty sure I will be able to break them up before they thaw.

So it seems like re-freezing won't HARM the cat, but nutrient content will decrease with each freeze/thaw. Makes sense to me!

-BP
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Banned

It's fine. You can do it multiple times--not a problem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Cool Cat

Try not to do it all the time if you can avoid it, just because of the possible nutrient loss, but yeah I do it and I don't think it's very harmful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page