Aujeszky's disease/pseudorabies in pork meat still a threat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Aujeszky's disease/pseudorabies in pork meat still a threat?

I read it's not recommended to feed my cat raw pork meat because of a dangerous bacteria potentially living in it which causes almost immediate death. It's called Aujeszky's disease or pseudorabies.

Ive been trying to get some more info and read the gouvernment has been trying to exterminate all animals that carried the bacteria. The article was almost 2 years old. Is this bacteria still around posing a threat to my kitten or is it safe to feed him pork meat nowadays?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Banned

Re: Aujeszky's disease/pseudorabies in pork meat still a threat?

My cats get pork twice a week, every week. Everything I've seen and read makes me comfortable feeding it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Senior Cat

I'm increasing the amount of pork I feed to try save money. IMO it is just fine to feed. Very very few times will pork be infected with it.

I try to freeze pork three weeks before feeding but sometimes will feed it without freezing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Cool Cat

Where do you live? I don't know of it being a problem in the USA but I wouldn't know about other countries. I feed pork regularly and have not had problems.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I live in Thailand now and there's no way I'm gonna get any info about it here.

I don't believe freezing meat kills the bacteria in it...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

I live in northern MN, and my vet has told me that local pork is safe, but pork from the southern part of the state is still at risk of pseudorabies infection. It would be advisable to check with your local vets or appropriate govt agencies to find out if pseudorabies is present in the area from which you procure your pork.

Laurie
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

It is NOT a threat at all in the U.S. but potentially is abroad. I don't know about Thailand, but I would be careful if I were you. Perhaps skip pork. . .
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:53 AM
Jr. Cat

I would be very careful about pork there has been a long long history of infected meat world wide that i believe is a parasite not bacteria. I don't know how much we should believe what the government calms they have been wrong before about things that they were sure about. Cooking kills it, freezing might. Incidentally I will not feed pork out of an abundants of caution.
Wizzel
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 02:32 AM
Premier Cat

From everything I've read, it seems this is a herpes virus limited to infecting swine.
I doubt infected animals would even reach slaughter, at least certainly not in countries who practice strict slaughter requirements of their animals; meaning no 'downers' or animals exhibiting clinical signs of illness or neurological problems are slaughterable for consumption.

Quote:
http://www.pigprogress.net/health-di...orabies-8.html
Aujeszky's disease is caused by infection with a herpes virus, Suid herpesvirus 1 (SHV) which multiplies in the nuclei of the cells of the pig to lyse (kill) them, to form syncytia (merge them) or to produce a characteristic intranuclear inclusion body. It can be grown in tissue culture in the laboratory. It is a DNA virus. The glycoproteins (gp) and thymidine kinase (TK) of the virus are important in the disease, in vaccines and in diagnosis and their genes have been sequenced. Only one major antigenic type of the virus occurs. Aujeszky's disease virus infects the upper respiratory tract and virus travels along the cranial nerves and invades the brain. Strains found in Northern Ireland and Central Europe also produce pneumonia. Invasion of the uterus, maternal and foetal placentas and foetuses occurs and can cause abortion, foetal death, mummification and foetal resorption. The virus can be adsorbed onto the zona pellucida of embryos and can infect recipient sows in embryo transfer and may be shed in the semen for up to 10 days. Virus is shed from two days post-infection until 10-14 days post-infection in most cases and exceptionally until 19-20 days. Latent (undemonstrable) infections commonly develop.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Tom Cat

I think Wizzel is concerned about a trichonosis infection, caused by the parasite trichinella.

It's the same situation though. Trichinella is killed in pork when frozen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Source: [url
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20003740?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed _ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=2[/url]]North American genotypes of Trichinella spiralis (T-1), Trichinella nativa (T-2), Trichinella pseudospiralis (T-4), Trichinella murrelli (T-5), and Trichinella T-6 were examined for susceptibility to freezing in pork using time-temperature combinations that have been proven to inactivate T. spiralis. Infections were established in 3-month-old pigs of mixed sex and breed by oral inoculation of 10,000 muscle larvae (ML) (all genotypes, rodent-derived ML), 20,000 ML (T-1, T-4, and T-5; cat-derived ML), or 30,000 ML (T-2 and T-6; cat-derived ML). Pigs were euthanized 60 days postinoculation. Muscles from the tongue, masseter muscles, diaphragm, triceps, hams, neck, rump, and loins were ground, pooled, and mixed to ensure even distribution of larvae. Samples (20 g) containing each Trichinella species, genotype, and source combination were placed in heat-sealable pouches, transferred to a constant temperature refrigerant bath, and maintained according to defined time and temperature combinations. Larvae recovered from cold-treated pork samples were inoculated into mice to determine infectivity. Results indicated that the time-temperature combinations known to render pork safe for T. spiralis are sufficient to inactivate T. nativa and T-6 (the freeze-resistant isolates), T. murrelli (the most common sylvatic species in the United States excluding Alaska), and T. pseudospiralis (a species that lacks a muscle nurse cell). These data close a gap in knowledge about the effectiveness of freezing for inactivating these parasites in pork and should alleviate concern about the safety of frozen pork products from the United States.
All commercial pork is frozen before sale, and I keep my meat frozen before I give it to Mak, so again it's of no concern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page