Switching Teddy and Leo to raw Diary (Restarting) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Switching Teddy and Leo to raw Diary (Restarting)

I figured I would start a new thread that will cover all the different topics that will come up with switching my kitties to raw

For the last 4 days I have been feeding my cats, Teddy and Leo, larger and larger chunks of meat mixed with wet food. Tomorrow, I will be feeding them each a whole chicken thigh (cut into largish chunks) along with the bone with some meat on it sitting at the side. I may smear on a little wet food to make it more tempting

What would be the next step? Should I try doing CGH quarters? or should I try introducing them to other types meat? I'm kind of getting worried that I may be unbalancing their diet by giving them half wet food, half meaty meat. And they aren't getting the bone, liver, and other secreting organs they need. Also, should I get the taurine and fish oil supplements to put on their food as well?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Switching Teddy and Leo to raw Diary

The next step will depend on whether or not he eats any of the bone. If he eats the meat but leaves the bone you'll have to take some time to get him eating that, smaller bones like ribs might be good for that.

Once he's eating the meat and the bone you will need to find organ. Live and kidney should be easiest. Once you have them eating that then you are good.

As far as worrying about an imbalance, it's a valid concern but it will not happen immediately, how long have you been feeding the way you are? So long as they eat meat, bone and both organ types the only supplement they'll need is fish oil. You can add taurine if you'd like since you can't over dose but you shouldn't need it.

Good luck with the rest of the transition, can't wait to here how they handle the bone!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

GAH!!!! Teddy is being a butt head and is not wanting to eat the meat. I put plates out for both kitties last night and went to bed, this morning Teddy's plate was there, still untouched. I am still mixing wet food in and Leo will eat his food after looking at me for a half hour and he realizes that is what his dinner is. Neither one of them have tried chewing on the meaty bone I left. I have two cornish hens That I will be cutting up to give to them to see if that is a good way to get them eating some bone. I really hope I don't have to do different cuts of meat tonight. I cut up meat and liver last night and I was getting extremely nausous (I am fighting off some cold or something). Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Banned

Relax! It takes time and patience. Cats who were weaned to commercial food truly don't think other stuff is FOOD. I now have 2 super-happy, adventurous raw eaters who used to be kibble-heads, and I can tell you with complete assurance that how they act at the beginning has NOTHING to do with where they will end up. If they aren't eating bone yet, keep feeding some canned, and you won't have to worry about that (calcium, etc. in the canned food). Or consider the whole ground rabbit from Hare Today as a transitional food (which is what I did).

Chicken thighs have very heavy bone. Not the best starter bone. CGH breast/rib bone is softer and easier to eat.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks for the reassurance. I just don't want to do my kitties any harm in the process of transitioning. I know I'm currently not getting the frankenprey proportions correct and that is worrying me. Hopefully I will come home to find Teddy's plate clean after him not eating any of his dinner last night. I'm beginning to wonder if a meat grinder attachement for a Kitchen aid would be good for grinding up the bone and liver to distribute it more evenly with the food.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned

Please do NOT invest in a grinder attachment. Honestly. You do not need it. Adult cats do NOT have to be fed perfectly every single day. You're doing just fine. Stop worrying.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
You're doing just fine. Stop worrying.
ok, I'll try. I have a tendency to freak out a bit, which probably isn't helping my kitties adjust.

*Breathe in..... Breathe out..... Repeat*

LOL
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

We ALL freaked out when we started. I totally got a rep on the yahoo rawfeeding group while I was transitioning. What helped was everyone who kept telling me, "Yeah, mine did that. Don't worry -- keep going -- try this." So we'll just keep doing that, you try to chill, and your kitties will get with the program in no time.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I came home to discover more evidence of Teddy's butt-headery. Not only did he not eat his food, but he crapped right on top of it!

With that said, I think I discovered his main problem with the food. I fed him some scraps of meat that I had just been handling and cutting up for about a half hour, he readily ate that (when mixed with wet food of course). He doesn't like stuff straight from the fridge. He has often left we food that I took out of the fridge with no rewarming before. I just didn't think about that fact translating to raw food.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well, even though he started chowing down on his food last night he only ate about a third of it. He also turned up his nose at this warmed food this morning, so there goes the theory of him only liking warmish food. I'm stumped. Leo on the other hand will eat chunks I throw to him without any added wet food. *Sigh* I guess I'm going to have to get that ground whole rabbit and see if teddy will start with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page