What to look for - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

What to look for

What are the signs that your cat is lacking say Taurine or any of the other vital vitamins or nutrients in their diet? My cats are fine,just curios.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

Re: What to look for

Well, re: taurine, heart failure or blindness, mostly, but by the time you see signs it might well be too late. If your cat is eating 80-85% muscle meat, there's not much risk of taurine deficiency b/c that's very high in taurine and how cats are supposed to get it. It doesn't hurt to supplement it (you can get a powder -- http://www.herbalremedies.com/taurine-1.html -- and most cats will just eat it sprinkled on the food a few times a week). I do supplement it b/c it doesn't hurt either me or them to do it, and why not be safe?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Cat

Thanks for posting this, and thanks for the answer! I was wondering the same thing, also curious if feeding all this meat was enough taurine. I think I am going to add a supplement just in case, especially since Sabre is still growing. But I've been feeding a lot of heart so I think he's pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

Yes, heart is a muscle so has a lot of taurine. But so does dark meat chicken, beef, etc. One of the main culprits in loss of taurine is grinding -- one more reason to feed meat in as whole a state as possible!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Can I use human cod liver oil capsules for fish oil supplementing with cats, or are there other ingredients in there not meant for cats?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

Cod liver oil is NOT the same as fish body oil -- do NOT use it. You need high-quality fish body oil -- preferably salmon or menhaden. Get it from a good natural food store, not from Wal-Mart, etc.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

That is good to know. One more question...my older cat is really not taking to raw,in fact she is so sceptical about any wet food(that she used to eat) because of me hiding raw in it, she is not eating anymore. If she gets through one can of newmans own in 4 days its a lot. Really stressing me out, so I have to get her back on some kibbles,but which is the best?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Banned

I would go back to straight canned, get her eating that well again, and then try again w/ the raw in a few weeks.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thats the problem,she wont even eat canned,maybe once every 2 or 3 days. I really dont want to go back to kibbles,but I am getting worried now. Which kibble is the best though?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Banned

Well, she has to eat. Get one of the grain-free kibbles (EVO, etc), get her eating that at MEALS (not left available 24/7), then start working the canned food into that. You'll just have to go slowly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page