diarree after raw egg meals - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

diarree after raw egg meals

I read about 15% of my cats raw food diet should consist of sideproducts like eggs, yoghurt and even some vegetables.

I give him a small birds egg 2 to 3 times a week mixed with his meat. However his poop of that meal the next day is always really soft diarree like instead of the normal hard elastic ones he gets from eating the meat and bones.

Is this normal? He doesn't seem sick but it seems awkward to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Senior Cat

Re: diarree after raw egg meals

Cats tend to let you know how much egg they are able to handle. Eggs are really good for them though! I try to give mine eggs a few times a month.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 01:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul36
I read about 15% of my cats raw food diet should consist of sideproducts like eggs, yoghurt and even some vegetables.

I give him a small birds egg 2 to 3 times a week mixed with his meat. However his poop of that meal the next day is always really soft diarree like instead of the normal hard elastic ones he gets from eating the meat and bones.

Is this normal? He doesn't seem sick but it seems awkward to me!
I don't know where you got that info, Paul, but I've never heard such a thing. Cats have no biological need for vegetable (or fruits or grains), and can't properly digest them. Eggs are offered once in a while here, but I split two eggs between five cats. I don't know how cats would benefit from yogurt.

If the amount of egg you're feeding is causing loose stools, cut it back a bit. If you're feeding multiple eggs, feed one less. If you're only offering one egg, feed just the yolk instead of the whole egg.

Try that for a while and let us know how it goes!

(If you don't mind, where did you hear of this 15% "sideproducts" offering?" I'm always curious where information comes from. Thanks!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Cat Addict

I give my cats egg about every 2 weeks or so. Like Auntie Crazy I split 2 eggs, between 4 cats. I just beat it up and pour it over their meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy
I don't know how cats would benefit from yogurt.
Actually, yogurt has probiotic bacteria in it. Just like it helps our digestive system it can help theirs too. However, since cats are lactose intolerant they can't have very much. If one of mine gets diarrhea, or gas or w/e, i give them about a teaspoon twice a day until they feel better. Clears it up nice and quick. Too much of it though would likely cause diarrhea because of the lactose. I usually just buy a small single serving container of the organic stuff when I do. They really like it mixed into their meals as well.

It's fine to mix some things in, once in a while. But don't do it too often. Maybe give some egg, but make the rest into breakfast for yourself. Mine get a 'treat' meal about once a week where i put something yummy on top. Egg, yogurt, a little Parmesan cheese, wet cat food, ect. The key is I put it one top of the actual meal.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Banned

Cats do not need yogurt. Their GI tracts are full of beneficial bacteria and they cannot process lactose, so avoid that entirely. A cat on antibiotics can be given acidophilus/bifidus, etc. in a NON-dairy formula (most health food stores have it in powder form).

Cats have no need of vegetables at all.

Egg is fine, but in SMALL amounts. When I give egg, maybe once a week, I mix one egg up well and divide it between 3 cats, along w/ some other stuff. I would NOT give a cat a whole egg.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Tom Cat

Just want to add that normally yogurt contains lactase, the enzyme needed to digest lactose. So as far as the dairy rule for cats they can eat some and be fine. Though, IMO, it should be limited to just an occasional treat.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Kitten

Glad to hear you are feeding raw. Best food for them.

Cats with gastro issues may not be able to digest raw egg well. I feed my cats the yolk portion only for their B vitamins. I use 3 yolks for 8 lbs of meat/organ/bone, so very small amounts. The whites should be lightly cooked as they contain avidin which can bind to biotin and prevent it from being absorbed.

Cat maid to:

Puddles, f (s) Blue Cream Himalayan 13 yrs
Jasper, m (n) Blue Pt Ragdoll/Ragdoll cross 8-9 yrs
Sweet Pea, f (s) silver tabby/calico 5-6 yrs
Rose semi feral, f (s) brown tabby 3 yrs
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4himies
The whites should be lightly cooked as they contain avidin which can bind to biotin and prevent it from being absorbed.
Not true unless (1) they are fed alone (as opposed to with the yolk) or (2) they are fed in large quantities. Again, egg in SMALL quantities is fine. But I would never feed a whole meal of egg.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
Quote:
The whites should be lightly cooked as they contain avidin which can bind to biotin and prevent it from being absorbed.
Not true unless (1) they are fed alone (as opposed to with the yolk) or (2) they are fed in large quantities. Again, egg in SMALL quantities is fine. But I would never feed a whole meal of egg.

Well it is true that they contain avidin which can bind to biotin and prevent it from being absorbed. And yes it is very dangerous in large quantities but to be safe it should be lightly cooked to be safe.

http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.ht ... ngredients

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 00&aid=711

Cats have the highest requirement for B complex vitamins per pound than any other carnivore, so to allow as much to be absorbed as possible is best.

Cat maid to:

Puddles, f (s) Blue Cream Himalayan 13 yrs
Jasper, m (n) Blue Pt Ragdoll/Ragdoll cross 8-9 yrs
Sweet Pea, f (s) silver tabby/calico 5-6 yrs
Rose semi feral, f (s) brown tabby 3 yrs
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden
Quote:
Egg white does contain avidin. Avidin can and does bind with biotin, preventing absorption of said biotin. Cooking the egg white will stop this process.

Of course, you can also separate the white from the yolk and feed either one or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page